update

  • Michael and Laura
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 21, 2005
      Could some one please update us about the places around here in
      columbus.....me and my husband sometimes go out to locate cemeteries
      and to over look them and clean up around them and we would love to
      beable to help where we could...so any info would be great..

      thanks
      Michael and Laura
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 23, 2005
        Hi - the Clapp's Factory Cemetery is located just below Oliver Dam on a
        bluff overlooking the Chattahoochee. If take the turn off from the
        River Road to Oliver Marina and bear to the left, just before you reach
        the gated entrance to the Oliver Dam facility, the River Walk begins to
        the left (southward). Walking on the River Walk, the cemetery is about
        one tenth of a mile down on the right - there's a dirt pathway leading
        in on the north side and a dirt road going in on the south side of the
        main cemetery area. You won't find much there - only one grave is still
        marked (J. F. CAIN - evidently a child's grave - along the northside
        pathway). There are estimated to be 400-500 graves. Based on archival
        research and reports from family members, we now have the names of
        around 70 persons known or believed to be buried there. Our volunteer
        group has tried to clear the cemetery of some of the appliances, car
        parts, televisions, construction tailings, litter, and other debris that
        have been illegally dumped in there, but there's still quite a bit that
        needs to be removed. We have members local to Columbus who might be
        willing to meet you out there, if you'd like.

        Thank you for your interest, and we could really use your help in
        monitoring the site.

        John Mallory Land
        President, Clapp's Factory Cemetery Preservation League
        McKinney, TX
        retrofit@...

      • Ggbryan821@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 23, 2005
          My husband, Earl, passed away Saturday as his two daughters and I stood by
          his bedside here at home where he wanted to be.
          Visitation will be tomorrow (Monday) from 6:00 - 8:00 PM at Pope Dickson
          Funeral Home here in Morrow. Funeral will be Tuesday morning at 11:00 AM at the
          Chapel with burial at Westview Cemetery.
          Please keep us in your prayers.
          Love,
          Gwen Bryan

        • Michael and Laura
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 24, 2005
            Thank you so much for the update...we hate to hear that it is not
            doing good.....are you planing on having a group meet out there
            again or are you waiting till a later time? Me and my husband both
            work during the week, but maybe we could do something on a weekend
            to help out.....I believe that this coming weekend we are going to
            go out there and have a look around.....all of the cemeteries that
            we use to look over are pretty much cleaned up except for a
            few...like one out in the country, that has a dirt road running
            right next to it, not even a foot away from one grave and we are
            still not sure to this day how many grave are out there...we can
            only see 3 of them.

            thanks
            michael and laura
          • Michael and Laura
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 9, 2005
              A friend of ours sent us this link

              http://www.legis.state.ga.us/cgi-bin/gl_codes_detail.pl?code=36-72-1

              We are still right now going threw the message logs to read what has
              been going on and getting fixed and started....with over 600
              message...we have only got to 200...lol.....Also we found out that
              there is a place at the libary that someone did some surveys on. I
              can go and look at these, if know one else has already seen these
              papers. Just let us know something, please.

              Michael and Laura