Upcoming meeting of the Clapp's Factory Cemetery Preservation League

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 12, 2004
      Greetings to all. I hope everyone is doing well. I was invited to
      speak recently to the Columbus chapter of the Sons of Confederate
      Veterans. On June 3, I made a brief presentation about the Clapp's
      Factory mill, village, and cemetery, with an emphasis on the community
      during the Civil War and on the Confederate soldiers and veterans who
      are buried in the cemetery. There were about 20 people present,
      including Kemis MASSEY and my "new" NEWSOME cousin, Dianne WEBB and
      her husband Mike from Newnan, GA. There was a period of discussion
      afterward, and the members of the group (some of whom I turned out to
      be kin to) seemed enthusiastic about the cemetery project. I also met
      with Cynthia NASON to compare notes and talk about research on Clapp's
      Factory.

      After a period of relative inactivity, I would like to see the
      cemetery project get moving again. As recommended by our
      archaeological consulting firm, LAMAR, in their initial survey report,
      I am drafting a Master Plan to lay out our aims and goals as a group
      and to delineate a strategy for achieving those aims and goals. I
      would like for us to meet as a group and discuss the Master Plan and
      the cemetery project as a whole. I will circulate the first draft of
      the Plan to everyone for review before we meet. Then we can discuss
      any revisions that need to be made before officially adopting it. The
      NEWSOME family will be holding their annual family reunion in Phenix
      City, AL, on the first Saturday in August. I was thinking this might
      also be a good time for the Clapp's Factory Cemetery Preservation
      League to meet in Columbus. Would this be too soon for folks to plan
      to come? Or do we need to schedule the meeting later than this,
      perhaps in September?

      If everyone will let me know whether they could attend on the first
      weekend in August or not, and any other times between now and October
      1st that they would be unable to attend a meeting, we will try to set
      a firm date right away so that everyone can plan to come. I will
      coordinate with the SCV and other interested parties, so that if
      anyone else would like to join us, they may plan to do so.

      By the way, the delayed issues of the Clapp's Factory Chronicle
      newsletter will be distributed shortly via conventional mail.

      Thanks to everyone for your continued support of the effort to rescue
      the Clapp's Factory Cemetery.

      John Mallory Land
      Vice-President, CFCPL
      McKinney, TX