Incorporation

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 10, 2003
      Everyone,

      I received a Minute Book and some other materials from our attorney,
      John Sheftall. The Clapp's Factory Cemetery Preservation League, Inc.
      is officially incorporated. There are a couple of documents that have
      to be signed and sent to the George Attorney General's office (I will
      need to coordinate with the other temporary officers to get your
      signatures on these as well), and I will be reading through all the
      material to see what we need to do next.

      Filing for tax exemption with the IRS is a separate process. Mr.
      Sheftall can handle this for $1000 to $1500, and it takes several
      months, so we need to move on it as soon as possible. Everybody be
      thinking of ways we might raise some funds to cover this expense. I
      really think tax-exempt status will help us with our fundraising, but
      ironically there is an outlay of money up front to acquire this status.

      I have worked on revising and documenting the text from my May
      presentation, but have not completed that project yet. I have been
      working on the Spring Issue of the "Clapp's Factory Chronicle"
      Newsletter, and Cynthia Nason has kindly submitted information on COLE,
      HILL and related families for the "Featured Clapp's Factory Family"
      article. I hope to have this issue done within a week or so. I just
      found out Sunday that my brother will be visiting my parents this coming
      weekend, so I am scrambling to get their house in order and make room
      for him to stay.

      I am still planning to be in town the weekend of August 2 for the
      NEWSOM(E) reunion in Phenix City, and hope to meet with the group to
      discuss a draft of the Master Plan for the cemetery project at that
      time. Also, Cynthia and I dicussed with Ann WALK the possibility of
      having a get together for the local families and old-timers who may have
      personal memories or stories about the Clapp's Factory settlement and
      cemetery. This could possibly take place on Sunday, August 3, but if
      so, we will need to move to make plans right away and secure a space to
      hold it in (the lecture room at the North Branch of the Columbus Public
      Library might be a good venue).

      I will post more as I'm able - I may be tied up until the first of next
      week. Hope everyone is doing well, and I appreciate everyone's
      participation and support.

      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 10, 2003
        To steal an idea from John, your drink cans can be recycled and the money "donated" to the preservation league. Since John's last visit I have been saving my cans. I plan on taking a can crusher to work (I have one at home) and ask that they recycle for the cause. I crush them so they don't take up so much room.

        kemis

        From: John Mallory Land
        Everyone,

[...]

        John in TX