Re: Clapp's Factory Cemetery Project: Accelerating the process

  • Cynthia I. Nason
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 18, 2003
      John--

      Thanks for all your good work. The mission statement looks good to me.

      I'm not on the yahoo group so would appreciate continuing to receive your
      messages.

      Thanks.

      Cynthia

      Only $9.95 per month!
      Visit www.juno.com
    • skipperhe@juno.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 2, 2003
        Part 1. John, I concur in all you have written except, I see no way all
        of the organization business can be done timely and the cemetery "cleaned
        up' as well. The former is more important so that we can have an
        official voice to speak with Ga Power. The 'clean up' can come later.
        And I suggest the clean up could or should be done by Ga Power who has
        the personnel and means to do so. It is their failure that it is the way
        it is today; trash in what ever form had to go through their property to
        get to the cemetery. I know you are concerned that 'WE" control it; I
        think we should and will. I think Ga Power's interest is only trying to
        preserve a good public relations position. If it is marked (fenced by Ga
        Power?) and recognized as a cemetery, then Ga Power can't evade it or
        control to the extent of development, etc. By law they can't lock us out.
        If they had the desire, they could have probably shut us out a long time
        ago....I agree it appears they have made no effort to recognize the
        cemetery except in early days. Who put the railroad rails and cable
        there? I would think they did. They did maintain a pedestrian opening
        prior to the River Walk road opening. I would think only that through
        the years there was no interest on their part or the public's part to
        maintain the area as a cemetery. Ga Power might prove to be a good
        partner.

        Part 2. When I left Columbus, I spent some time in Griffin Georgia. A
        grand effort there is being done to repair cracked, fallen, etc.,
        monuments, head stones, etc., in the old section of the Oakhill Cemetery.
        It is owned by the city but they have never nor now are they
        contributing to the repairs and restorations. It is being done privately
        but under the umbrella of the local Historical and Restoration Society.
        Donated moneys go to the Society but are only spent on the cemetery;
        likewise, Society moneys are not spent on the cemetery. That is how they
        get around the incorporation, tax issues. When I first talked with Gwen,
        I thought this might be a way we could go. And maybe we could in Columbus
        for the immediate, short term. But not for the long term. They would
        then want to control. Not good. Their mission is the whole city or
        county and our little project would get lost. I sensed breaks in
        Griffin. But the Columbus (or country) Historical group might provide
        advise on how to get organized.

        A check in the amount of $100 will be in the mail tomorrow (March 3) to
        you. Cash it, spend it, send it to Kemis; do whatever you can to get us
        started and registered as an entity. It undoubtly has to be done in
        Georgia. Surely some lawyer could do this economically. Elaboration can
        be done later. John, you have named us and now let us get organized in
        form.

        I feel 100% better about this affair than I did when I left Columbus.
        And now we have a 'DAR' buried there (birth date corrected ?). Can the
        'DAR' be brought in ? GWEN ?

        I regret I am so late in reading my mail. I recognize my above comments
        are probably not appropriate based on all the correspondencve which has
        transpired since Feb 16th. Please overlook my in appropriate comments.
        It will take a few more days before I catch up. Skip