Brigadier General Robert Hall CHILTON

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 3, 2003
      Hello, All -

      I am looking forward to my visit and am *trying* to get all my materials
      organized to bring with me.

      Meantime, over the weekend, I did a little checking on Robert Hall
      CHILTON, who was president of the Columbus Manufacturing Company (which
      entity operated Clapp's Factory from 1867 until the mid-1880's) from its
      inception until his death. (I tried to email from home, but couldn't
      get it to transmit, so here it is now:)

      I found the following bio at:

      http://bhere.com/plugugly/lost/chiltbio.html

      The piece is accompanied by a photo. I can email the photo to anyone
      who wants it.

      <<Robert Hall Chilton was born in Loudon (sic) County of
      Virginia on Feb. 25, 1815. He graduated 48th in the 57 member class of
      1837 of West Point. Posted to a dragoon unit, he served in Kansas,
      Texas, and Indian Territory. "During the Mexican War he won the brevet
      of a major at the battle of Buena Vista, where he carried to safety the
      wounded Jefferson Davis, then a colonel of Mississippi volunteers. From
      1854 until the Civil War he was a paymaster in Washington, DC, New York,
      Michigan [Detroit], and Texas.1

      Following Fort Sumter, he resigned his commission and joined the
      Confederate Army as an adjutant general with the rank
      of lieutenant colonel. He served under his friend, Robert E. Lee until
      after Gettysburg when he became inspector general of Lee's army
      operating out of Richmond.

      In October 1862, he was appointed brigadier general, but his
      nomination was at first rejected by the Confederate Congress.
      His clashes with some field commanders, most notably John B. Magruder,
      were the cause. He was finally appointed in early 1864. Whether his
      appointment was also held up by his role in the Lost Dispatch is
      uncertain. The Confederates would not have known of the Lost Dispatch at
      the time of his October 1862 appointment.

      His only combat command occurred in May 1864 when he led a
      Virginia infantry regiment and cavalry into battle on the 10th and
      succeeded in routing a Union column along the Richmond & Petersburg
      railroad. He then returned to his inspector general post where he
      remained until the war's end.

      Following the war, he became president of a manufacturing company
      in Columbus, Georgia. He died in Columbus on February 18, 1879.>>

      Gwen,you may be particularly interested to know that he is buried at
      Hollywood Cemetery, Richmond, VA. Isn't that where your Jacob SKIPPER
      is interred? Robert's wife was Laura MASON (b. 1820 in Richmond, VA, d.
      1911) I have found no record of issue for this couple. Laura was a
      granddaughter of Mary King BARNES (1737-1771) and her husaband Thomson
      MASON (1732-1785). Mary was the daughter of Abraham BARNES (b. 1715
      Richmond or Westmoreland Co, VA, will dated 1773) and his first wife
      Mary KING (d. 1739). I have more on this family, if anyone is interested.

      Robert Hall was one of fourteen children of William CHILTON (b. 1769, of
      Maidstone, Westmoreland Co, VA) and his wife Sarah Chliton POWELL (b.
      ca. 1778, of Loudoun Co, VA). Sarah is said to be the daughter of Levin
      & Sarah (HARRISON) POWELL, and William the son of William & Sarah
      (ORRICK) CHILTON. I have further background on this family, if anyone
      is intersted in that. WORSLEY states that CHILTON's brother-in-law, a
      Mr. TODD, was a chief investor in the Columbus Manufacturing Company,
      but I've found no further data on this as yet. The IGI shows no spouses
      for any of the nine children of William & Sarah C. (POWELL) CHILTON that
      I've found named.

      Another photo and some interesting discussion of the famed "Lost
      Dispatch," with which CHILTON is connected, can be found at this site:
      http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/Barracks/3627/loser.html

      More as I'm able,