Clapp's railroad station on the Narrow Gauge Road

    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 16, 2002
      Howdy, All,

      I've been checking some more on the "Narrow Gauge Road," on which
      Worsley states that there was a railroad station named "Clapp's." I
      suspect it was the Columbus & Rome line (see below), which was narrow
      gauge, as opposed to standard gauge. There may even have been a short
      track connecting Clapp's Factory to the main line heading north out of
      Columbus to Hamilton. I have seen the Columbus & Rome Road on maps, but
      have not captured any of the images. I'll try to get one that I can
      post. I had wondered why it was called the Columbus & Rome Road - the
      history of this rail line explains that. Note that the town of Chipley
      mentioned in this passage is present-day Pine Mountain.

      <<Columbus & Rome RR
      Chartered in 1871 as the North & South RR of Georgia in hopes of
      building a line from Columbus, GA to Chattanooga. The N&SRRofGA had 23
      miles of track from Columbus to Hamilton built by 1877 and was forced by
      financial problem to be sold to new investors. In 1877, it was
      reorganized and renamed the Columbus & Atlanta Air Line in hopes of
      building the line into Atlanta. In 1882, the C&AAL RR was sold and went
      through reorganization to emerge as the Columbus & Rome RR to reflect
      the intentions of its new investors to build the line from Columbus to
      Rome. By 1884, the track had been extended only 9 miles from Hamilton to
      Chipley and in 1885, 17 additional miles were built from Chipley to
      Greenville. By 1888, the C&R RR only had 49 miles of narrow-gauge track
      in operation between Columbus to Greenville. In late 1888, the Savannah
      & Western RR was authorized to purchase and merge the C&R RR into the
      S&W RR. The track from Columbus to Greenville was never profitable and
      operated as an unimportant narrow-gauge branchline on the S&W RR and
      part of the Central RR's plans to reach Chattanooga.>>

      Posted at:
      http://webpages.charter.net/highrailer05/Berkys_Fallen_Flag_Railroads_In_Georgia_Page.htm

      Hope this is of some interest,

      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 25, 2002
        Howdy, All,

        Hope everyone is enjoying the holidays. I'm staying pretty busy
        myself. I wanted to let everyone know I emailed Louise P. LANEY at the
        Historic Columbus Foundation to thank her for sending the copies of
        "Tales of the Chattahoochee," KYLE burials at Linwood Cemetery, and the
        photocopy of the postcard showing Clapp's Factory. I attached the scan
        of the Clapp's Factory postcard I bought last month. I happened to ask
        if the photocopy she had sent me was made from the original postcard or
        from a photocopy.

        A few days ago, I got another package from her in the mail with a nice
        cover letter. It seems she had not had time to check the photo album
        the first time she sent information. When she had more time, she looked
        and found that they have three postcards on file showing Clapp's. One
        is the original from which our photocopy of a photocopy came; the second
        is evdiently identical to the postcard I bought at the postcard show
        here in Dallas (the same picture that appears in WORSLEY, p. 376); and
        the third, which is the most interesting: a close up of a covered
        doorway into the factory, next to the river, with water streaming by and
        apparently filling the foreground. She sent photocopies of all three.
        She stated in her letter that although they have recently had a good
        new computer system and scanner donated to the Foundation, she hasn't
        learned yet how to operate them, so she can't scan and email the
        postcards, and the foundation has not posted much material online as
        yet. Perhaps I'll get by there when I finally get to Columbus and see
        if I can get scans of them.

        I will be glad to email scans of the images she sent me to anyone who is
        interested in them. I hope everyone has a safe and happy New Year.

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 27, 2002
          John,

          I'd be interested in them, please.

          kemis

          Original Message ----- From: John Mallory Land

          < snipped>

        • Ggbryan821@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 30, 2002
            Is there any chance that we can all get together sometimes during the week of
            January 12th?
            Gwen

            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 31, 2002
              Maybe have to pass in and out as time warrants.