Clapp Cemetery Muscogee County, Columbus, GA

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 17, 2002
      Hello,

      My name is Kemis Massey and I am working with a group of descendants of those buried in the Clapp Cemetery in Columbus, GA. I found a web site about the descendants of William Barnes, with your email addresses. (http://members.aol.com/thsone/surname/barfile5.txt) On this web site there were 2 family members that were buried in the Clapp Cemetery. How were you able to determine the location of their burials?

      The land were the cemetery is located was purchased by Georgia Power in the 1920's. The cemetery is now a jungle. Currently we are trying to gather as much information on those buried there. Ultimately we would like to see the cemetery cleaned up. If you would be interested in sharing your info with some of the others, please let us hear from you. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ClappCemetery/

      I recently sent the following email to many of the email lists I belong to

      "Hi all,

      Over the past several months, I have sent emails out about the Clapp Cemetery (located in Muscogee County - Columbus, GA) trying to find more descendants whose family members may have been buried there. The cemetery is not being taken care of my the current owners, Georgia Power and we would like to clean the cemetery in an effort to help those descendants find their families.

      The following people or families have been identified so far:

      Mary Catherine Skipper
      John P. Lewis
      J.F. Cain
      Sarah Watson Hill
      Jesse Hill
      Dicey Coggins Hill
      Charlotte I. Jones Hill
      Nancy "Mammy" (Vickery?) Jackson
      Mary Virginia Jackson Cole
      John W. Cole
      Margaret Hood Cole
      Bird
      Hopkins
      Miller
      Nix
      Warren
      Watson

      There has been a temporary mailing list set up for all of those who are interested in helping with the research and preservation of the cemetery.

      If you think you might be interested:

      Please keep in mind we don't know exactly who is buried there or where in the cemetery they are buried. THERE ARE NO RECORDS. Please do not ask me if your family members are there, I don't know. I only have some information on the people listed above and it is limited.

      Thanks for any support that you can give us this cemetery."

      Happy family hunting,