Clapp's Factory

  • Ggbryan821@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 25, 2002
      I am attaching a wonderful article that appeared in the Atlanta Constitution
      on January 13, 1901, with the hope that it will mean as much to you as it has
      to me!
      Gwen Grant Bryan

    • Harris Hill

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 27 5:09 PM
          Bill,

          When I was in Georgia in March, a cousin gave me a transcription of a
          death notice for Nancy (GOLDSMITH) STATHAM, which was published on
          Monday, 27 JUN 1887 in the Columbus Enquirer-Sun newspaper. She died at
          12:00 on Thursday, 23 JUN 1887 near Knight's Station (Lee Co, AL?),
          after an illness of six weeks.. The piece states that she is buried in
          the Girard (AL) Cemetery - as you probably know, the name of Girard was
          changed to Phenix City - in Russell Co, AL. I would be glad to send
          you the text of the death notice if you are interested in having it.

          I hadn't notified Kemis and the others on the list yet of the new
          information on Nancy's burial. I had originally placed her on the list
          of possible Clapp's Factory burials because she lived in that community
          and, as we had speculated, she died during a period of time when the
          cemetery is known to have still been in use. The fact that she was
          buried in the Girard Cemetery may indicate that it was a more convenient
          place to put her (the factory closed about 1885 and many families moved
          away to find work elsewhere), or may be a clue that she already had
          family members buried at Girard. A number of Clapp's Factory employees
          and their families were living in Browneville, AL, a community that is
          now part of Phenix City, possibly in tenement housing owned by the
          company, and would cross the river to work.

          Hope this helps in some way,

          John Mallory Land
          McKinney, TX

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 13, 2003
            Mr. Baker,

            We would be delighted to have your group work with us. I have sent this to the others on our mailing list. We will let you know when we have our next planning session so a representative from your group be included.

            Have you visited our site yet?

            You can log on to it using the ID of cemetery_clapp with a password of visitor.

            Thank for your inquiry and we will be back in touch with you.

            Kemis Massey

            From: Louis W Baker
            There is a local group of the SCV (Sons of Confederate Veterans) in Columbus. The group takes on projects to preserve and maintain graves of veterans. Would your organization be interested in collaborating with the SCV on the Clapp's cemetery?