Re: [ClappCemetery] Narrow Guage Road & Clapp's Post Office?

  • Ggbryan821@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 1, 2002
      Very interesting, John!! Where are you getting all this great information?
      Thanks for sharing it.
      Gwen

      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 1, 2002
        Does anyone know where in Muscogee Co. Narrow Guage Road is or was (as
        pertains to the following)?

        <<...Although it was incorporated as the 'Columbus Manufacturing
        Company' in 1866, this mill, as well as the previous one, was always
        known as Clapp's Factory. A railroad station nearby on the Narrow Guage
        Road was also called 'Clapp's.' >>

        I'm thinking this post office must have directly served the Clapp's
        Factory community and would have been in or near the village.

        Does anyone have access to any old maps of the county that might show
        the location of Narrow Guage Road, Clapp's Post Office, and/or Clapp's
        Factory? I haven't found any historical maps online that show enough
        detail of Muscogee Co. for locating these features. Thanks,

        John in TX
      • Harris Hill
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 1, 2002
          John,

          In my initial reading of your e-mail, I took Narrow Gauge Road to be a reference to the railroad itself, almost as if there may have been two, one narrow gauge and perhaps a standard gauge track as well. Just a thought.

          I think you are doing a great job on this effort.

          Harris Hill

          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 1, 2002
            I should have mentioned that this quote is from the book "Columbus on
            the Chattahoochee, " by Etta Blanchard Worsley (Columbus Office Supply
            Company: Columbus, Georgia, 1951), p.377. The passage about Clapp's
            Factory and a photo are posted on the website, I think.

            John

            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 1, 2002
              John,

              As everyone is saying you are doing a great job with all the info. I agree with Harris about the gauge.

              As for maps, there are some at the Bradley (poster size) I can check for maps. The only map that I've found anything referring to the Clapp is the following and all it says is Factory (you will need to enlarge), That is the location of the Clapp.

              http://www.cviog.uga.edu/Projects/gainfo/histcountymaps/muscogee1864map.jpg

              kemis

              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 2, 2002
                Thanks for everyone for your input and suggestions. I found the
                following site:

                http://www.usps.com/cpim/ftp/pubs/pub119.htm

                It shows sources for historical post office information. These entries
                may be particularly useful:

                <<Post Route Maps, 1830s-1940s

                Post route maps of counties, states, and groups or portions of states
                depict mail routes and show stops (Post Offices), distances between
                them, and frequency of service. Bodies of water, railroad lines, canals,
                and recently discontinued Post Offices are also sometimes shown.
                Statistics are sometimes given for the states depicted, including area
                in square miles, population and population density, number of Post
                Offices, and miles of railroads and canals.

                Post route and rural route maps are located in the National Archives'
                Cartographic and Architectural Branch, at the National Archives at
                College Park, Maryland, and in the Geography and Map Division of the
                Library of Congress.

                Record Cards of Postmaster Appointments, 1890s-1986

                The record cards of postmaster appointments (PS Forms 1094, 1095, and
                1084) are index cards of postmaster and acting postmaster appointments
                and officer-in-charge installations at Post Offices from the late 1890s
                through 1986, filed alphabetically by state and Post Office. Post Office
                discontinuance/establishment information is also provided, along with
                dates when a Post Office was advanced to or relegated from the
                presidential class. (The president appointed postmasters at first-,
                second-, and third-class offices from 1864 to 1970. Classes were dropped
                in 1975.) These records are often the sole source of information on
                postmaster appointments at Post Offices from 1971 to 1986, although
                prior to 1971 they largely duplicate information found in the Record of
                Appointment of Postmasters.

                The record cards prior to about 1971 are located at the National
                Archives as part of the Records of the Post Office Department, Record
                Group 28. Cards after 1971 are located in the office of the Historian of
                the United States Postal Service.

                Record of Appointment of Postmasters, 1814-1971

                The Record of Appointment of Postmasters consists of ledgers of
                postmaster appointments by Post Office from 1814 to September 30, 1971.
                The records prior to 1832 are arranged alphabetically on a national
                basis, by Post Office name and state. County names are given beginning
                in 1824. After 1832, the records are arranged by state or territory,
                then by county, and then alphabetically by Post Office. The records show
                the names of Post Offices, the dates of their establishment and
                discontinuance, any name changes, and the names and appointment dates of
                postmasters. Surety information is sometimes provided prior to 1844.
                Beginning in the 1840s, presidential appointments are noted. Money order
                offices are noted beginning in the 1860s. After about 1870, the records
                show the names of Post Offices to which mail from discontinued offices
                was sent. Names of acting postmasters are listed beginning in the 1910s.
                (See also the description of this record at
                www.nara.gov/genealogy/postal.html.)

                The postmaster appointment ledgers have been reproduced as National
                Archives Microfilm Publication M1131, Record of Appointment of
                Postmasters, October 1789-1832 (Rolls 2, 3, and 4), and M841, Record of
                Appointment of Postmasters, 1832-September 30, 1971 (145 rolls). They
                are available for purchase from the National Archives and may be
                available from your local library through inter-library loan.>>

                I'm going to try to find out if any applicable sources, like a map of
                postal routes in the west/southwest region of Georgia, is available at
                my branch of the National Archives (in Ft. Worth). If anyone happens to
                be in or to go to the Atlanta area, I believe the Southeast branch of
                the National Archives is located at Eastpoint, GA, and may have some
                pertinent materials available.

                Also, Cynthia and I have found Clapp's-related families in the Nances
                District on the 1880 federal census of Muscogee Co, GA. I found Nances
                (post office, I assume) marked along the Columbus-Rome road, which
                passes through Cataula and Hamilton, on the "Preliminary post route map
                of the State of Florida with adjacent parts of South Carolina, Georgia,
                and Alabama (1876)" at the following site:

                http://alabamamaps.ua.edu/historicalmaps/southeast/1851-1900.html

                You must employ Java or a plug-in to view and resize/move about the map.
                Also at this site is a series of historical maps of Georgia. If you
                look at the out-of-print fifteen-minute quadrangle series and check out
                the 1950 Ellerslie map, in the lower left-hand corner is an area called
                "Clapp Hill Reservoir," where the Roaring Branch flows into the
                Chattahoochee. It is north of Bibb City, and there are water tanks
                (assumably at the city water works facitily) indicated to the southeast.
                I was interested to see the Double Churches School and Lake Mary (named
                for Mary LOKEY, a kinsman of mine) marked on the map as well. The
                contour lines indicate 50' change in elevation.

                In the thirty-minute quadrangle series, on the 1907 map called
                Talbotton, in the lower left-hand corner is Clapp Hill. You can see
                some of the roads in the area, and indications of structures (houses?).
                At Bibb City at the very edge of the map is a big structure, which I
                guess is Bibb Mill -- I see no similar structure that would be the
                Clapp's Factory mill; it was already abandoned by 1907, and the building
                burned down in 1908. Looking at the River Road, the road that goes west
                through the word "Road" may correspond to what is marked "Marina Road"
                just south of U.S. 80 (per Yahoo Maps). Emma WATSON was quoted in the
                1955 article as saying the Clapp mill village once extended from the
                Clapp's Factory site all the way to the River Road. The road extending
                west from the River Road just below the word "River" may have cut
                through the Clapp village and ended at the Clapp Factory mill, if the
                mill was on the hill just south of the Roaring Branch (near what is now
                Oliver Dam). This is where the factory appears to be placed on the 1864
                Muscogee Co. area map that Kemis sent us the link to. (Thanks for that,
                by the way, Kemis! I have looked at tons of historical Georgia maps and
                have not yet found one that indicates the mill or village, only the two
                above that refer to Clapp Hill after the factory is out of use.)

                If I can find a way to copy these maps, or sections from them (so far, I
                haven't been able to), I'd like to post them at the Clapp's site .

              • Ggbryan821@aol.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 2, 2002
                  This is great information!
                  Gwen

                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 4, 2002
                    Howdy, all:

                    I found the following information in queries posted on the Lee Co, AL
                    and Muscogee Co, GA boards:

                    <<I find a William L. POER on page 346 New District of the 1860 Muscogee
                    County census (per index). Need to know if this is my Wm. L/S POER in
                    the 1850 Harris County census with wife Frances (LANEY) POER and six
                    children, ages 1 to 12. William Spencer POER [sometimes spelled PORE or
                    POORE] was living in the Brownville Beat of Lee County in 1870 and 1880.
                    Wife Frances Laney. 2 children John W. POER and Lucinda POER married to
                    probable siblings Frances Ann and John D. RIDENHOUR/RIDENOUR in Muscogee
                    County, GA, 1860's; 2 married HOPKINS men. Need death dates and place of
                    burial for William, Frances, and any other POER/PORE children,
                    especially Aaron or David B....Constance Schofield
                    <kavolscof@...> >>

                    William PORE and family are on p. 224C of the 1880 census. We have
                    Clapp-related families in this vicinity. He is listed that year as a
                    grocer, and one of the persons in his household is a clerk in the store.
                    But perhaps he worked for Clapp's Factory prior to that. Also, I have
                    seen HOPKINS mentioned as a surname possibly connected to CLAPP's Cemetery.

                    If anything looks familiar to anyone, please let me know. Thanks,