Georgia Archives

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 18, 2012
      From another list kemis

      -----Original Message-----

      Gov. Nathan Deal and Secretary of State Brian Kemp announced today that the
      state will restore $125,000 to Kemp's budget to keep the Georgia State
      Archives open to Georgians for the remainder of the budget year.

      The extra funding provides for Georgia State Archives to be open to the
      public through June 30 of next year.

      On July 1, the Georgia Archives will be transferred to University System of
      Georgia, pending approval of the move by the General Assembly.

      This transfer will include appropriations required for operation and assets
      of the Georgia Archives. Additional staff will be provided by USG at that
      time.

      Deal and Kemp intend to find efficiencies by consolidating the Archives
      under the University System of Georgia, just as the state has sought to do
      with the library system.

      Deal's budgetary commitment allows Georgia State Archives to maintain its
      current access hours.
    • PAUL DIFFLEY
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 18, 2012
        Great news. That would have been a real blow to public access to government records.

        Thanks, Paul Diffley

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 19, 2012
          The original post came for the County Coordinators (CC) for GAGen. I
          forwarded to every list that I am list admin for. Then through my personal
          email - home and work. Then I went to Facebook included groups that I
          belong to. Channel 9 News here had a segment about it. Seems several
          stations throughout GA did also. One CC also has lists in FL. She sent the
          message to her FL people. Next thing the message went throughout the US.
          People were calling, emailing and writing about the closing. At one point
          the phones were over loaded. One of the saving factors is there is a GA
          state law that makes it illegal not to have a state Archives. That's why
          they had to work with University of GA.

          IMHO - most people don't realize how many people are very passionate about
          researching their ancestors or any info as how to research.

          kemis

          On Behalf Of PAUL DIFFLEY

          Great news. That would have been a real blow to public access to government
          records.

          Thanks, Paul Diffley

          DgxMDkEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTM2MzgyBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA2dmcARzdGltZQMxMzUwNjA4Mzc2>
          Image removed by sender. Yahoo! Groups