Textile Mills

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 28, 2012
      This was a facebook post to a group "you grew up in Columbus, GA if . . .",
      I ask for permission to post here. Hope someone finds something new.

      Susan Woodall Stuckey
      This is an interesting link:
      Excerpt from a transcription of an oral history about working in the textile
      mills around Columbus, Georgia in the early 20th century. Iva Lankford
      worked for the Bibb Manufacturing Company, and in this portion of her
      interview she discusses working twelve hour days and waiting for the "dope
      wagon" (a lunch cart). Her history is part of the Mill Workers Oral
      Histories Collection housed at the Columbus State University Archives. You
      can find this collection in the DLG at
      http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/CollectionsA-Z/mc109_information.html . You can
      also access a box and folder list of the entire collection at
      http://archives.columbusstate.edu/findingaids/mc109.php .
      http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/CollectionsA-Z/mc109_information.html
      dlg.galileo.usg.edu

      Kemis Massey