Clapp Cemetery - Official Records

  • jlorendorff
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 9, 2012
      Does anyone have a record of the Clapp Cemetery Burials. That is to say a survey of the Cemetery or official record identifying those buried and plot locations in the Clapp Cemetery?

      My Great Grand Parents obituaries indicate their burials at Clapp Cemetery they are A.P and Elizabeth Lawhorn-Watley (Whatley)

      I am thinking there must be an original record of burials somewhere. Is there a record of the Clapp Cemetery creation, record of land purchase, stated purpose, etc. Do we know if anyone is an appointed Official overseer of the property? Who does the land belong to today?

      My e-mail is jlorendorff@...

      Thanks everyone! Janet
    • winston pike
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 9, 2012
        Many of us who have relatives buried there have been searching, but try searching this forum/group. Lists have been posted of the buried in the Clapp Cemetery that have been gleaned from newspapers and such.

        Winston

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 10, 2012
          Janet,

          The cemetery was orginally 23 +/- acres. According to Georgia Power it's now less than 2. Seems they didn't know it was a cemetery there. Yet in the late 70's GA Power officals told a Water Work employee, they had move the tombstones for historical preservation.

          We have a list that has been compliled by obits and family history. It is no where near completion. We would like to gain ownership of what's left of the cemetery. Plans are to mark all the know graves as a grave - we have no way of determing who would be in that grave so we can't place a tombstone. But we will do some sort of plack with all the know names listed and a place for new finds. We want to honor as many as we can that were buried there.

          If you would like, I can send a list to your email address of the people we have id'd.

          kemis massey

          --- In ClappCemetery@yahoogroups.com, "jlorendorff" <jlorendorff@...> wrote:

          > Does anyone have a record of the Clapp Cemetery Burials. That is to say a survey of the Cemetery or official record identifying those buried and plot locations in the Clapp Cemetery?
          >
          > My Great Grand Parents obituaries indicate their burials at Clapp Cemetery they are A.P and Elizabeth Lawhorn-Watley (Whatley)
          >
          > I am thinking there must be an original record of burials somewhere. Is there a record of the Clapp Cemetery creation, record of land purchase, stated purpose, etc. Do we know if anyone is an appointed Official overseer of the property? Who does the land belong to today?
          >
          > My e-mail is jlorendorff@...
          >
          > Thanks everyone! Janet

        • jlorendorff
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 11, 2012
            Thanks Winston and Remis for your response. Remis, when you have time please send me the list of those who have been identified as being burried in the Clapp Cemetery, I appreciate your efforts
            Thanks, Jan