Records?

  • Confederate25
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 9, 2012
      Hello all, I just found this page while reading info on the Clapp's Factory. I have several Newsom(e) ancestors reportedly buried in the Clapp cemetery. I never new where exactly the cemetery and factory were until tonight - I am going to go check them out this weekend. Are there any records of burials? i.e. maps, ect. any way to narrow down where my ancestors may be located there?
      Thanks,
      Mark Taylor
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 10, 2012
        Mark,

        Please be forewarned, it's a jungle. We've only found one grave marked and
        he/she was a child. As far as the Newsom(e) goes, our President is a Newson
        descendant. He has info on the Newsoms .

        Also, the cemetery was once reported as being around 23 acres. The cemetery
        is located on GA Power land by the North River. According to them, the
        cemetery is less than 2 acres. One of our members has a picture she took of
        her grandmother in the early 70's. She was pointing to her mothers grave.
        What's left of the cemetery is really scary.

        As far as burial records, we took the info that Jane Hannah did some years
        back and used that as a bases of who was buried there. There are more
        people we have identified since that Mrs. Hannah's list was done. One of
        our members has retired, so she and her mom travel some. She always tries
        to include a trip to various libraries and state archives. It's amazing how
        much info on the Clapp Cemetery, factory and village she has found in the
        strangest locations.

        Check out CLAPP Factory Cemetery on the left hand side of
        http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~gamuscog/index.htm Has some info on the
        cemetery, factory and village.

        kemis

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 10, 2012