Georgia State Archives - Important

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 10, 2011
      From another list . . . this is important for those who live in or plan to visit Georgia. kemis

      The 2011 session of the Georgia General Assembly saw the budget of the Georgia Archives slashed, yet again. The situation has become so dire that the Archives is open to the public only two days per week. This once proud and nationally respected institution is but a shadow of its former self. Staff positions have been eliminated, and programs abolished or much diminished.

      Of all state archives, the Georgia Archives has the dubious distinction of being open to the public the fewest number of hours per week.

      It is time for a change. It is time that our elected officials be made aware that we, the citizenry, are outraged that our access to historical records is limited to seventeen hours per week (Friday and Saturday, 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.).

      Action is needed now. Do not wait until the 2012 session, or it may be too late. I urge you to contact officials. Your expression of support will boost Secretary of State Brian Kemp’s efforts to restore the Archives to the importance it once held.

      Send a letter of support to: Secretary of State Brian Kemp, 214 State Capitol, Atlanta, GA 30334.

      Kemp also urges citizens to support the Archives, and he has some specific suggestions on how to go about it. “What have to do is to make the legislature understand why the facility and the mission are important,” he said. “We have to continue to educate. We haven’t done a good job of that in the past.”

      He said supporters should write personal letters emphasizing the Archives’ critical mission and its potential to generate revenue and foster economic development.

      “Don’t just write to governor or appropriations committee members, write to local legislators,” he advised. “If people have an Appropriations Committee member from their district, all the better. Personal letters from people in their district get read. Personalize it. Say you’re with this organization and they (members) are concerned about this.”

      Write Georgia legislators, as well as Gov. Nathan Deal, to request that the Archives budget be restored and public access hours expanded.

      You can find the name and contact information for state representatives and senators at: http://www.legis.ga.gov

      You may send a letter to: Gov. Nathan Deal, State Capitol, Atlanta, GA 30334.

      Let’s flood them with notes and letters! This is important.

      We need to get our state Archives back to a functional level!