Re: [ClappCemetery] updated burial list

    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 28, 2002
      John,

      The Schwob library has references in their Chattahoochee Valley Sources & Resources: An Annotated Bibliography Volume II: The Georgia Counties by John S. Lupold. Most of what's there actually refers to the Factory . In the Clapp folder at the Bradley, there is an email from Rosebird, the list from Buster Wright (typed), and a couple of articles from the Ledger.

      There is a book that contains cemetery survey information and I photo copied the following for my info.

      "Clapp's Factory Cemetery

      All that remains of it _ on the hill south of the Marina near Green Island Hills. Take River Road north and make a left turn at the marina - to the road just about the marina. You will be facing south - continue south on this road to next right turn off - - a dirt road, uphill to the cemetery. this is a short way from the beginning of the new bridge across the river. the bridge is south of the cemetery. Sink are many here; stones are few.

      1.. Flat concrete slab alongside dirt road after you enter cemetery:
      J. P. Cain (no dates)

      2. to the right of this same dirt road, down hill in a small cut or gully - two pieces of concrete
      on one pieces: J. O.
      on other piece: Feb. 1885

      3. Concrete slab - W A R N (Warren?) This slab has been slid downhill where it stopped in an upright position on the north side
      of the hill.

      On top of the hill are two concrete squares with numbers on them. They may be bases for gateposts. the centers of the
      squares have a square of metal which have been cut through and/or smoothed on top. The numbers are : 0197 and 9 over
      1 29

      4 & 5. Poured concrete for two small headstones - which are missing.

      Continue on down the asphalt road from the cemetery south toward the new bridge - on the right side of the road in the ditch - almost lost in Kudzu vines is a small pink marble headstone:

      Beloved Daughter / of Louis & Josephine ? Lummus?
      Born Mar, 1893 / Died Feb 11, 1895

      These markers were found by Mr. Benny Brookins who was so kind as to meet us at the entrance to the marina road and take us to the cemetery and lead us to the location of the last stone above.

      Found and copied June 28, 1984 by June and Lewis Hanna."

      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 28, 2002
        Kemis,

        Thanks for the rundown on library holdings and the information from the
        HANNA report. I am adding what I can as I revise the list of known
        burials. I'm wondering what your source is for the surnames BIRD and
        HOPKINS possibly being buried at Clapp's, as mentioned in some of your
        postings? I think I've seen the connection now for all the other
        surnames on the list mentioned.

        BTW, I posted queries on several of the Civil War genealogy interest
        boards inquiring about casualties/Confederate units present at the
        Battle of Columbus (APR 1865) and also about my ancestor William PAGE
        who is buried at Clapp's. I haven't heard anything about the former,
        but did receive this:

        <<Company A, 31st Regiment Georgia Volunteer Infantry, Muscogee County:
        PAGE, William -- Private - September 20, 1861. Died at Skidaway Island
        [near Savannah in Chatham Co.], Georgia on March 15, 1862.>>

        Thanks for the data,

        John
      • Ggbryan821@aol.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 29, 2002
          Sorry to be so late in answering you, John!
          Thanks for revising your information for Mary Catherine. I agree with you
          that the more information we have for these people, the more we can learn
          about the Cemetery! I have gotten so much information for Mary Catherine and
          Jacob S. Skipper and they were a wonderful family. With Jacob's death at the
          end of the War Between the States, the family was left to fend for themselves
          and had a very hard life I understand.
          My Great Grandfather Jacob Newton Skipper, who was only 9 months old when his
          father went to War, overcome the lack of formal education, learning the
          scriptures by heart. When he moved to Griffin, Spalding County, Georgia, he
          started a Sunday School in his home for his children, then the neighborhood
          children, and later the adults in the community. This was the beginning the
          the Hanleiter Methodist Church in Griffin! Jacob Newton was a wonderful
          influence on many in that town during his lifetime. This is another reason
          that I feel we can't just let those poor souls who were buried at Clapps
          Factory Cemetery be forgotten!! There must be amends for letting that
          Cemetery be trashed!! We have to do something to perpetuate their memory!!
          Gwen

          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 29, 2002
            I'm sorry, John! I got so carried away and I failed to answer your question.
            I live in Morrow, Georgia, just South of Atlanta.

          • skipperhe@juno.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 7, 2002
              Thank you so much for your work in the past and the benefit to society
              and the future which you are performing.
              Harold E. Skipper 4410 Fairways Blvd. Apt 4-03 Bradenton, FL 34209
              941-795-2652
            • skipperhe@juno.com
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 7, 2002
                Thank you so much Gwen for inputting the info. I am still having Juno
                problems (or computer problems) and have been on the computer very
                little. Do it Gal !!! Skip
              • Ggbryan821@aol.com
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 8, 2002
                  Your welcome and thank!
                  Sorry about your Juno problems. Hope you get them straightened out.
                  Gwen

                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 25, 2002
                    Gwen,

                    I don't much expect that we will ever know precisely where most of these
                    folk are buried within the cemetery, except maybe one or two; however,
                    it is my hope to place memorial markers somewhere in the cemetery for
                    each of my kinsmen who are known to be buried there (William PAGE, James
                    NEWSOME, Martha NEWSOME, Frances Penelope NEWSOME, plus any others).
                    I'm hoping that between now and that time, my reserach will yield
                    enough information on these folk that I can at least put full birth and
                    death dates on their stones.

                    A monument with a brief memoriam and the names of those we don't know
                    much about who are buried at the cemetery would also be in order. Of
                    course, that's down the road a bit. Right now, I would just like to see
                    the area cleaned off and protected with a fence, which I don't think can
                    happen until we have a survey done, and we can't have a proper survey
                    done until we have some legally valid document which defines where the
                    cemetery is and how big, and my aim is to check deeds, plat books, tax
                    returns, business reports, newspaper accounts, county abandoned cemetery
                    maintenance records, and the like until we have accumulated enough data
                    to legally define the precise location and perimeter of the cemetery.
                    If anyone has any suggestions with regard to attaining that goal, I
                    would appreciate hearing them. Thanks to all for your hard work and ideas,

                    John in TX