Progress report and upcoming Board meeting

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 22, 2010
      Greetings, All -

      This is to remind everyone that we will be holding a Board meeting, which is open to all, on Saturday, December 4, at 12:30 pm at the North Columbus Branch of the public library, located at 5689 Armour Road, Columbus, GA, 31909-4513. We will have updates on developments, and I will be proposing treatments to protect what is believed to be an infant grave, marked with a field stone at the head and foot, in the middle of the footpath along the bluff. I would like to order a granite headstone for this grave (assuming we can get forensic confirmation that it is indeed a grave), as well as one for the CAIN grave.

      Immediately following the Board meeting will be a meeting to organize a Muscogee-area cemeteries group to take responsibility for the various abandoned cemeteries. I hope all who can attend will.

      Our recent Clean-up Day went well. We did not have a large crew, but we did get quite a bit of the roofing shingles taken up. Thanks to Kemis Massey, Cynthia Nason, Buddy Williams, and John Massey for a job well-done! We also made a couple of new contacts with folks interested in the cemetery.

      I spoke with a woman who has family Bible records showing a new Clapp's Factory burial (well, new to us, anyway!): Alma MARTIN (14 MAY 1903 - 21 MAY 1903). I haven't found a published death notice for her yet, and the Britton & Dobbs Funeral Home records for that period are missing at this time. This family is also kin to Gladys MARTIN, an infant who buried at CF in 1901 and likely has additional members buried at the site, though others have not been confirmed.

      I was also in contact last week with Trees Columbus, a non-profit group that is evaluating local cemeteries to see if they can contribute to their betterment. They will be able to refer us to persons qualified to evaluate the trees and other flora at Clapp's Factory in order to give us an inventory of species present and to advise us on how to deal with diseased trees. I am also trying to get a reference for an erosion consultant.

      Now that I am living in Columbus, we plan to hold more frequent work days at the cemetery. We hope to clear out a lot of the constricting vines and underbrush and to remove dead trees and limbs, in anticipation of a formal archaeological survey. We intend to launch a concerted campaign to raise funds for that survey during 2011.

      I hope everyone has a safe and enjoyable Thanksgiving! Take care -

      John