Upcoming events & site status update

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 30, 2009
      The Executive Board of the Clapp's Factory Cemetery Preservation League will be meeting on Sunday, September 6, at 6 pm, in Columbus, GA (location TBA). Everyone is welcome to come and hear our discussion and to voice your opinion, if you wish. The meeting agenda will be posted to this list prior to the meeting.

      We will be holding our next Clean-Up Day at the cemetery on Saturday, October 24, from 10 am to 4 pm. Our goal will be to collect and remove all of the remaining roofing shingles and construction waste from the site. Further details for this event will be posted here as they become available. Please plan to come if you can and bring a friend!

      While I was in Columbus for my mom's memorial service, my brother Erny, my uncle Clyde and I toured the Clapp's Factory Cemetery. Later, my brother and I went back and policed for litter. There seemed to be relatively little trash about, most of it concentrated around the siting monument placed on the bluff by Georgia Power. Thankfully, we detected little encroachment on the interior of the cemetery by pedestrians, cyclists or hooligans. I took up the remains of a television set that apparently had been obscured by vines but was now exposed. My brother and I also picked up trash and collected aluminum cans at the fishing point developed by Georgia Power - we removed a total of eight trash bags of litter, four trash bags of cans, and nine tires.