Re: NEWSOM / NEWSOME Family Reunion in Columbus area

  • Candy Ford
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 15, 2008
      Are there any details yet for the one in August? I'd like to go ahead and make my hotel
      reservation as soon as possible. I plan to be there for a few days before and/or after to do
      some research in the area.

      I've e-mailed John a few times but haven't heard back from him. I'm sure he's very busy.
      Does anyone know if he's okay?

      Thanks!
      Candy

      --- In ClappCemetery@yahoogroups.com, "newsompage" <retrofit@...> wrote:

      > Everyone - I count at least forty persons kin by blood or marriage to
      > the NEWSOM / NEWSOME family who are buried at Clapp's Factory, so I
      > thought I'd post this to let everyone know what we're planning:
      >
      > 1) We will be holding a NEWSOME family info and photo swap-meet on
      > the same weekend as the Golden Acres NEWSOME Family Reunion in Phenix
      > City, AL, which is held the first Saturday in August (this year it's
      > August 2, 2008). The time and place for the swap-meet are yet to be
      > establshed - probably in the afternoon / evening of Saturday, August
      > 2. Several local NEWSOME cousins have already expressed an interest
      > in attending, and we hope to have representatives from as many of the
      > NEWSOME children as possible. Already included on the contact list
      > are descendants of brothers John NEWSOME, William Anderson NEWSOME,
      > James NEWSOME, Henry M. NEWSOME, and George Washington Freeman
      > NEWSOME, and sister Elizabeth (NEWSOME) BELCHER - and possibly
      > brother Carter NEWSOME.
      >
      > 2) An NEWSOME Family Reunion, to be held in the Spring of 2009 in
      > the Columbus-Phenix City area. This will include ALL of the
      > descendants (with spouses and families) of James & Elizabeth (NEWSOM)
      > NEWSOM, who married 1816 in Warren Co, GA; were in Marion Co, GA, in
      > 1830; in Harris Co, GA, in 1840; and the widow and children being at
      > Clapp's Factory in Muscogee Co, GA, by 1850. While we will welcome
      > descendants on collateral lines (STATHAM, MORRIS, PIKE, ABNEY, PAGE,
      > etc.) and NEWSOMES from other branches as well - we espeically want
      > to get the word out to as many direct-line descendants of James &
      > Elizabeth as we can.
      >
      > The timing of the NEWSOME Reunion will probably coincide with the
      > United Daughters of the Confederacy ceremony to dedicate the new
      > military grave markers of our NEWSOME kin and others at the Clapp's
      > Factory Cemetery - this ceremony is tentatively scheduled for March
      > 2009. We are working on applications for VA-provided markers for
      > Carter NEWSOME (1818-1896), John NEWSOME (b. 1820), Asa NEWSOME (b.
      > 1823), William Anderson NEWSOME (b. 1826), and James NEWSOME (1834-
      > 1894) - we have service records for all these men and know Carter,
      > John, and James are buried at Clapp's Factory; we suspect Asa and
      > William Anderson are as well.
      >
      > We are also looking for candidates to participate in the NEWSOME
      > surname DNA study project as well - perhaps you know of a male with
      > the surname NEWSOME in your branch who would be willing to
      > participate?
      >
      > Please let me know if you would be interested in participating in one
      > or both of these events and fill me in on if you've learned anything
      > new lately about your NEWSOME ancestry. I look forward to hearing
> [...]
    • Daniel T. Elliott, President
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 15, 2008
        Awesome Newsoms,
        This is a little earlier than Clapp Factory, but does anyone out there have any information on Newsom's Fort, which was a Wilkes County militia fort in the American Revolution (somewhere in present-day Warren County, I think)? I am researching the Wilkes County forts and any information is appreciated.
        Thanks,
        Dan Elliott
        The LAMAR Institute, Inc.
        http://lamarinstitute.org