601Re: [ClappCemetery] update

    Jan 23 1:56 PM
      Hi - the Clapp's Factory Cemetery is located just below Oliver Dam on a
      bluff overlooking the Chattahoochee. If take the turn off from the
      River Road to Oliver Marina and bear to the left, just before you reach
      the gated entrance to the Oliver Dam facility, the River Walk begins to
      the left (southward). Walking on the River Walk, the cemetery is about
      one tenth of a mile down on the right - there's a dirt pathway leading
      in on the north side and a dirt road going in on the south side of the
      main cemetery area. You won't find much there - only one grave is still
      marked (J. F. CAIN - evidently a child's grave - along the northside
      pathway). There are estimated to be 400-500 graves. Based on archival
      research and reports from family members, we now have the names of
      around 70 persons known or believed to be buried there. Our volunteer
      group has tried to clear the cemetery of some of the appliances, car
      parts, televisions, construction tailings, litter, and other debris that
      have been illegally dumped in there, but there's still quite a bit that
      needs to be removed. We have members local to Columbus who might be
      willing to meet you out there, if you'd like.

      Thank you for your interest, and we could really use your help in
      monitoring the site.

      John Mallory Land
      President, Clapp's Factory Cemetery Preservation League
      McKinney, TX
      retrofit@...

      Michael and Laura wrote:

      > Could some one please update us about the places around here in
      > columbus.....me and my husband sometimes go out to locate cemeteries
      > and to over look them and clean up around them and we would love to
      > beable to help where we could...so any info would be great..
      >
      > thanks
      > Michael and Laura

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic