127Re: [ClappCemetery] Narrow Guage Road & Clapp's Post Office?

    Nov 2, 2002
      Thanks for everyone for your input and suggestions. I found the
      following site:

      It shows sources for historical post office information. These entries
      may be particularly useful:

      <<Post Route Maps, 1830s-1940s

      Post route maps of counties, states, and groups or portions of states
      depict mail routes and show stops (Post Offices), distances between
      them, and frequency of service. Bodies of water, railroad lines, canals,
      and recently discontinued Post Offices are also sometimes shown.
      Statistics are sometimes given for the states depicted, including area
      in square miles, population and population density, number of Post
      Offices, and miles of railroads and canals.

      Post route and rural route maps are located in the National Archives'
      Cartographic and Architectural Branch, at the National Archives at
      College Park, Maryland, and in the Geography and Map Division of the
      Library of Congress.

      Record Cards of Postmaster Appointments, 1890s-1986

      The record cards of postmaster appointments (PS Forms 1094, 1095, and
      1084) are index cards of postmaster and acting postmaster appointments
      and officer-in-charge installations at Post Offices from the late 1890s
      through 1986, filed alphabetically by state and Post Office. Post Office
      discontinuance/establishment information is also provided, along with
      dates when a Post Office was advanced to or relegated from the
      presidential class. (The president appointed postmasters at first-,
      second-, and third-class offices from 1864 to 1970. Classes were dropped
      in 1975.) These records are often the sole source of information on
      postmaster appointments at Post Offices from 1971 to 1986, although
      prior to 1971 they largely duplicate information found in the Record of
      Appointment of Postmasters.

      The record cards prior to about 1971 are located at the National
      Archives as part of the Records of the Post Office Department, Record
      Group 28. Cards after 1971 are located in the office of the Historian of
      the United States Postal Service.

      Record of Appointment of Postmasters, 1814-1971

      The Record of Appointment of Postmasters consists of ledgers of
      postmaster appointments by Post Office from 1814 to September 30, 1971.
      The records prior to 1832 are arranged alphabetically on a national
      basis, by Post Office name and state. County names are given beginning
      in 1824. After 1832, the records are arranged by state or territory,
      then by county, and then alphabetically by Post Office. The records show
      the names of Post Offices, the dates of their establishment and
      discontinuance, any name changes, and the names and appointment dates of
      postmasters. Surety information is sometimes provided prior to 1844.
      Beginning in the 1840s, presidential appointments are noted. Money order
      offices are noted beginning in the 1860s. After about 1870, the records
      show the names of Post Offices to which mail from discontinued offices
      was sent. Names of acting postmasters are listed beginning in the 1910s.
      (See also the description of this record at

      The postmaster appointment ledgers have been reproduced as National
      Archives Microfilm Publication M1131, Record of Appointment of
      Postmasters, October 1789-1832 (Rolls 2, 3, and 4), and M841, Record of
      Appointment of Postmasters, 1832-September 30, 1971 (145 rolls). They
      are available for purchase from the National Archives and may be
      available from your local library through inter-library loan.>>

      I'm going to try to find out if any applicable sources, like a map of
      postal routes in the west/southwest region of Georgia, is available at
      my branch of the National Archives (in Ft. Worth). If anyone happens to
      be in or to go to the Atlanta area, I believe the Southeast branch of
      the National Archives is located at Eastpoint, GA, and may have some
      pertinent materials available.

      Also, Cynthia and I have found Clapp's-related families in the Nances
      District on the 1880 federal census of Muscogee Co, GA. I found Nances
      (post office, I assume) marked along the Columbus-Rome road, which
      passes through Cataula and Hamilton, on the "Preliminary post route map
      of the State of Florida with adjacent parts of South Carolina, Georgia,
      and Alabama (1876)" at the following site:

      You must employ Java or a plug-in to view and resize/move about the map.
      Also at this site is a series of historical maps of Georgia. If you
      look at the out-of-print fifteen-minute quadrangle series and check out
      the 1950 Ellerslie map, in the lower left-hand corner is an area called
      "Clapp Hill Reservoir," where the Roaring Branch flows into the
      Chattahoochee. It is north of Bibb City, and there are water tanks
      (assumably at the city water works facitily) indicated to the southeast.
      I was interested to see the Double Churches School and Lake Mary (named
      for Mary LOKEY, a kinsman of mine) marked on the map as well. The
      contour lines indicate 50' change in elevation.

      In the thirty-minute quadrangle series, on the 1907 map called
      Talbotton, in the lower left-hand corner is Clapp Hill. You can see
      some of the roads in the area, and indications of structures (houses?).
      At Bibb City at the very edge of the map is a big structure, which I
      guess is Bibb Mill -- I see no similar structure that would be the
      Clapp's Factory mill; it was already abandoned by 1907, and the building
      burned down in 1908. Looking at the River Road, the road that goes west
      through the word "Road" may correspond to what is marked "Marina Road"
      just south of U.S. 80 (per Yahoo Maps). Emma WATSON was quoted in the
      1955 article as saying the Clapp mill village once extended from the
      Clapp's Factory site all the way to the River Road. The road extending
      west from the River Road just below the word "River" may have cut
      through the Clapp village and ended at the Clapp Factory mill, if the
      mill was on the hill just south of the Roaring Branch (near what is now
      Oliver Dam). This is where the factory appears to be placed on the 1864
      Muscogee Co. area map that Kemis sent us the link to. (Thanks for that,
      by the way, Kemis! I have looked at tons of historical Georgia maps and
      have not yet found one that indicates the mill or village, only the two
      above that refer to Clapp Hill after the factory is out of use.)

      If I can find a way to copy these maps, or sections from them (so far, I
      haven't been able to), I'd like to post them at the Clapp's site .