1065My upcoming visit to Columbus

    May 2, 2010
      Hello, All - I hope everyone is well. There have been some developments in my life, some of which will have an impact on the CFCPL and the cemetery project. I am in the process of getting my parents' household ready for an estate sale. When my brother has had a chance to come to Dallas to hash through what we each want to keep, we will be holding the sale, then get rid of whatever is left. We will be putting the house up for sale, and I plan to move to Columbus (projected date at present is around Labor Day of this year).

      I will be in Columbus May 14-18 to bury my dad's remains at Mt. Paron Cemetery in Box Springs, open a PO Box, put in some job applications and look at housing options (Kemis & John Massey have offered very reasonable terms on a house for me temporarily while I look for something long-term). I will also be visiting some kin and, of course, checking on the Clapp's Factory Cemetery. We will not be having a formal event, but I will be at the cemetery at least once, probably on Saturday May 15 or Sunday May 16, and if anyone would like to come out and visit with me there, I would love to see you. Also, I would be glad to have lunch or dinner with anyone in the area who would care to - let's plan a meal (Cracker Barrel or Country's BBQ are always great!). Please post to the group or email me personally if you're interested and when you're available.

      The CFCPL officers will be having a teleconference in the next couple of weeks, at which time we intend to set a date for a Clean-Up Day in the fall. As soon as details are determined, we will post them to this group. Also, once I am living in Georgia, I expect we will be having membership meetings on a more regular basis (in accordance with our by-laws). Cemetery preservation is going to be a top priority for me, once I've settled in to my new hometown.

      I have been asked to make a presentation about cemetery preservation to the Chattahoochee County Historic Preservation Society, although the date has not yet been set. The presentation for the society in May (Monday the 17th at 7 pm in Cusseta) will be about historic Rosenwald schools. My cemetery presentation will probably be for either the July membership meeting or the one in September (they have a program meeting every other month).

      By the way, in case anyone is interested, the PATE, ROBINSON & SIZEMORE families will be having a reunion on Saturday, Oct. 2, 2010, at the Mt. Olive Primitive Baptist Cemetery (or Lower Cemetery) in Cusseta, GA. I am hoping to stimulate interest among my kin in supporting ongoing care for this cemetery and the various cemeteries where our people are buried more generally. If any of you have connections in Chattahoochee Co., you are certainly welcome to attend.

      I'll post more as I'm able, and I look forward to seeing y'all some time soon. -- John in TX (for now)
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic