Passage from Phuket to the Med...looking for like-minded folks

  • Judy and Bill aboard SV BeBe
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 12, 2010
      In planning our passage from Phuket to the Med we will concentrate on what is the best, most protected and most practical route and limit decision-making on what is the cheapest. The Phuket to Red Sea passage will probably be our most dangerous passage; and, frankly, we will give little consideration to agent fees, the price of diesel, or herd mentality.

      We have decided to leave Phuket when we are sure the monsoon
      winds have kicked in, then make our best time to Cochin without any
      planned stops. We will make our decision on the next stop after
      Cochin before we leave Cochin. Wherever that next planned stop is,
      making it without a fuel stop will depend on fuel use. In other
      words, we might plan to go directly to Djibouti from Cochin...and
      midway change to stopping in Salalah, Oman.

      We simply do not have enough information about the current safety of
      ports on the Yemen coast and things are changing there daily. An area that was considered "safe" by someone transiting the area last season might not be considered so today. So, after leaving Cochin and if Djibouti is our planned next stop, and if maintaining 150mi/day requires additional fuel, we will stop in Salalah, Oman. If a Salalah agent screws us with his prices, it will be part of the cost of a safe voyage and a small price to pay!

      We believe that there is no additional safety in "formation sailing."
      We would like to make this passage "loosely sailing" with like-minded
      people. We will likely average 150mi/day because that is what we
      averaged crossing the Pacific. "Loosely" means any boat that will
      average 120 - 180mi/day and contact one another via a SSB schedule.
      The slower boats will benefit from news from ahead and the faster
      boats may benefit from having someone behind them for help if a
      breakdown occurs.

      At this point our plan is to stick to the Coalition Corridor through the GOA for several reasons. If we need help, we will be close to a response in the Corridor and hours from a response 20 miles off the Yemen coast. The Yemen Coast Guard patrols the Yemen coast within 12 miles in 4 dilapidated boats and does not respond outside their waters. There has been an increase of people-smuggling from Somalia to the coast of Yemen.

      At this time it appears that our plans do not mesh with any of the groups making this passage. Again, we are looking to find like-minded folks to "loosely sail" this passage with us.

      If interested, we can be reached at svbebe at gmail.com.

      Bill & Judy
      s/v BeBe, Amel 53
      Currently Rebak Marina
    • David Mackintosh
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 12, 2010
        I see the pirates got a ship today CLOSE to the coast of India

        be safe and take care

        kindest regards

        David

      • Hans
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 12, 2010
          Are you confused with the hijacking of a South African Yacht off the
          Kenyan/Mozambique coast or are you talking about a new hijacking?

          Hans Rijsdijk
          SV Pelikaan

        • David Mackintosh
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 13, 2010
            new one

            Pirates have overrun a tanker near India today, capturing the vessel and 31
            crew members.

            Pirates took control of the Panamanian-flagged MV Hannibal II while it was
            travelling from Malaysia to the Suez Canal, the European Union anti-piracy
            force said.

            The EU Naval Force said the hijacking took place nearly 900 nautical miles
            east of the Horn of Africa, which is closer to India than Somalia.

            The Hannibal has 31 crew on board, 23 of them from Tunisia. The EU said the
            tanker was carrying vegetable oil.

            regards

            David

            On 13 November 2010 01:06, Hans <hrijsdijk@...> wrote:

            > Are you confused with the hijacking of a South African Yacht off the
            > Kenyan/Mozambique coast or are you talking about a new hijacking?
            >
            > Hans Rijsdijk
            > SV Pelikaan

          • hrijsdijk
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 25, 2010
              Regarding Bebe's request for contact during the passage from Thailand/Malaysia to the RedSea we are interested. Here is our plan:

              a. We leave around 8 January (or any such later time when the NE monsoon has actually set in) from Langkawi.
              b. We will travel on our own.
              c. Our first stop is Uligan (Maldives) and then
              d. We plan to sail (first about 200NM north then via a curved route) towards Salalah (Oman),
              e. Bypass Oman and make landfall in Al Mukallah (Yemen).
              f. Then sail reasonably close to the coast (still attacks in the corridor, in spite of navy protection), and stop again in Aden or possibly Djibouti.
              g. Our `marine' email address is vk2pel@....
              h. Our cruising speed is about 6kts.

              Hans & Fien
              SV Pelikaan