Re: [Churchcrawling] Saint Identification

  • John Salmon
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1, 2013
      That is probably the most likely explanation.
      It would also fit in with the fact that she has a blue halo which I
      noticed after I sent the email.

      I also thought it might be St Anne with St Mary as a child.

      JR

      On 01/07/2013 10:51, ChurchCrawler wrote:
      > Isn't this Charity, so an allegorical figure?
      >
      > phil

    • wond
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 1, 2013
      Not exactly an allegorical figure - more precisely, a personification.
      As to the identification - it says so - "Caritas" - personifying the virtue of charity, usually a woman with one or two children.

      The attachments show a Dutch "tresoor" ca. 1630, with Faith, Charity, and Hope personified (in that order, top to bottom). The detail shows "Caritas."
      Jeremy

      Message 3 of 5 , Jul 1, 2013
        The order of the carved panels, top to bottom, is the reverse of what I initially wrote. It is: Hope (top), with symbols an anchor and a bird (sent out by Noah); Charity, with two children; and Faith holding a book, i.e. Bible, and a palm branch signifying victory.

        jeremy