Saint Identification

  • John Salmon
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1, 2013
    Has anyone any idea who this saint is?. She appears to be holding loaves.
  • ChurchCrawler
    Message 2 of 5 , Jul 1, 2013
      Isn't this Charity, so an allegorical figure?

      phil
      Message 3 of 5 , Jul 1, 2013
        That is probably the most likely explanation.
        It would also fit in with the fact that she has a blue halo which I
        noticed after I sent the email.

        I also thought it might be St Anne with St Mary as a child.

        JR

        On 01/07/2013 10:51, ChurchCrawler wrote:
        > Isn't this Charity, so an allegorical figure?
        >
        > phil

      • wond
        Message 4 of 5 , Jul 1, 2013
        Not exactly an allegorical figure - more precisely, a personification.
        As to the identification - it says so - "Caritas" - personifying the virtue of charity, usually a woman with one or two children.

        The attachments show a Dutch "tresoor" ca. 1630, with Faith, Charity, and Hope personified (in that order, top to bottom). The detail shows "Caritas."
        Jeremy

        Message 5 of 5 , Jul 1, 2013
          The order of the carved panels, top to bottom, is the reverse of what I initially wrote. It is: Hope (top), with symbols an anchor and a bird (sent out by Noah); Charity, with two children; and Faith holding a book, i.e. Bible, and a palm branch signifying victory.

          jeremy