Re: [Churchcrawling] Re: Surprise at St Mary's Broxted, Essex

  • ChurchCrawler
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 18 2:58 AM
      Whereas the no smoking signs proliferate in our churches (along with health & safety notices, fire evacuations cards etc), the fact that there are cigarettes and an ashtray portrayed in stained glass is a first for a church to my knowledge!

      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 18 7:19 AM
        What is the window meant to signify? There seem to be chains at the top, then some origami; booze and glasses in the middle; a scroll of some sort, and a match and cigarette at the bottom; but I can't make out what the words are. One looks like WRIT. It looks a bit like a graduation celebration...
        Marion

        On 17 Mar 2013, at 22:49, John Salmon wrote:

        > No smoking in church.
        > John
      • John Salmon
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 18 7:31 AM
          L window

          RELE_SE below the dove (?release)
          CBE to left of scroll
          WRIT below papers and to right of cigs

          R window
          FREEDOM above the dove
          _OV_ below the same dove

          Weird!!!

          JR

          On 18/03/2013 14:19, marion wrote:
          > What is the window meant to signify? There seem to be chains at the top, then some origami; booze and glasses in the middle; a scroll of some sort, and a match and cigarette at the bottom; but I can't make out what the words are. One looks like WRIT. It looks a bit like a graduation celebration...
          > Marion
          >

          > On 17 Mar 2013, at 22:49, John Salmon wrote:
          >
          >> No smoking in church.
          >> John
        • Alan
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 18 11:38 AM
            Thank you, John.  You are quite correct!  I could never get Church Pictures to work for me...
            Alan