Re: [Churchcrawling] Re: Surprise at St Mary's Broxted, Essex

  • John Salmon
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 18, 2013
      Alan, you obviously don't subscribe to churchpictures as you have
      totally missed the point of my posting. The clue was in the stained
      glass window in the church!!!!!!!!!!!
      JR

      On 18/03/2013 08:20, Alan wrote:
      > I've seen No Smoking notices displayed elsewhere, usually in the church
      > porch. It may be a legal requirement and is probably directed at those
      > who use the premises for evening meetings rather than attending
      > services.
      > Alan Williams
      >

      > --- In Churchcrawling@yahoogroups.com, John Salmon <j.r.salmon@...>
      > wrote:
      >>
      >> No smoking in church.
      >> John
    • ChurchCrawler
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 18, 2013
        Whereas the no smoking signs proliferate in our churches (along with health & safety notices, fire evacuations cards etc), the fact that there are cigarettes and an ashtray portrayed in stained glass is a first for a church to my knowledge!

        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 18, 2013
          What is the window meant to signify? There seem to be chains at the top, then some origami; booze and glasses in the middle; a scroll of some sort, and a match and cigarette at the bottom; but I can't make out what the words are. One looks like WRIT. It looks a bit like a graduation celebration...
          Marion

          On 17 Mar 2013, at 22:49, John Salmon wrote:

          > No smoking in church.
          > John
        • John Salmon
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 18, 2013
            L window

            RELE_SE below the dove (?release)
            CBE to left of scroll
            WRIT below papers and to right of cigs

            R window
            FREEDOM above the dove
            _OV_ below the same dove

            Weird!!!

            JR

            On 18/03/2013 14:19, marion wrote:
            > What is the window meant to signify? There seem to be chains at the top, then some origami; booze and glasses in the middle; a scroll of some sort, and a match and cigarette at the bottom; but I can't make out what the words are. One looks like WRIT. It looks a bit like a graduation celebration...
            > Marion
            >

            > On 17 Mar 2013, at 22:49, John Salmon wrote:
            >
            >> No smoking in church.
            >> John
          • Alan
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 18, 2013
              Thank you, John.  You are quite correct!  I could never get Church Pictures to work for me...
              Alan