Re: [Churchcrawling] Surprise at St Mary's Broxted, Essex

  • Marcel
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 17, 2013
      It doesn't surprise me if it will be removed.

      Marcel.

      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 18, 2013
        I've seen No Smoking notices displayed elsewhere, usually in the church porch.  It may be a legal requirement and is probably directed at those who use the premises for evening meetings rather than attending services.

        Alan Williams

        --- In Churchcrawling@yahoogroups.com, John Salmon <j.r.salmon@...> wrote:

        > No smoking in church.
        > John

      • John Salmon
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 18, 2013
          Alan, you obviously don't subscribe to churchpictures as you have
          totally missed the point of my posting. The clue was in the stained
          glass window in the church!!!!!!!!!!!
          JR

          On 18/03/2013 08:20, Alan wrote:
          > I've seen No Smoking notices displayed elsewhere, usually in the church
          > porch. It may be a legal requirement and is probably directed at those
          > who use the premises for evening meetings rather than attending
          > services.
          > Alan Williams
          >

          > --- In Churchcrawling@yahoogroups.com, John Salmon <j.r.salmon@...>
          > wrote:
          >>
          >> No smoking in church.
          >> John
        • ChurchCrawler
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 18, 2013
            Whereas the no smoking signs proliferate in our churches (along with health & safety notices, fire evacuations cards etc), the fact that there are cigarettes and an ashtray portrayed in stained glass is a first for a church to my knowledge!

            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 18, 2013
              What is the window meant to signify? There seem to be chains at the top, then some origami; booze and glasses in the middle; a scroll of some sort, and a match and cigarette at the bottom; but I can't make out what the words are. One looks like WRIT. It looks a bit like a graduation celebration...
              Marion

              On 17 Mar 2013, at 22:49, John Salmon wrote:

              > No smoking in church.
              > John
            • John Salmon
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 18, 2013
                L window

                RELE_SE below the dove (?release)
                CBE to left of scroll
                WRIT below papers and to right of cigs

                R window
                FREEDOM above the dove
                _OV_ below the same dove

                Weird!!!

                JR

                On 18/03/2013 14:19, marion wrote:
                > What is the window meant to signify? There seem to be chains at the top, then some origami; booze and glasses in the middle; a scroll of some sort, and a match and cigarette at the bottom; but I can't make out what the words are. One looks like WRIT. It looks a bit like a graduation celebration...
                > Marion
                >

                > On 17 Mar 2013, at 22:49, John Salmon wrote:
                >
                >> No smoking in church.
                >> John
              • Alan
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 18, 2013
                  Thank you, John.  You are quite correct!  I could never get Church Pictures to work for me...
                  Alan