Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Theddlethorpe All Saints Lincs Part one

Expand Messages
  • Chris Stafford
    Theddlethorpe All Saints Lincs   A real patchwork quilt of a church, local greenstone, fine Tudor brick, Weldon limestone, ironstone all can be found here in
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 1, 2012
    View Source
    Theddlethorpe All Saints Lincs
     
    A real patchwork quilt of a church, local greenstone, fine Tudor brick, Weldon limestone, ironstone all can be found here in various quantities, mainly perpendicular in style this CCT church has the remains of a Norman doorway set above the N arcade, a collection of chevron detailed blocks. Known locally as the Cathedral of the Marshes, it is one of the best examples in this remote and underpopulated area. It stands in the middle of the largest concentration of CCT churches in the country, there are ten churches within a ten mile radius of Louth. Notable here are the two parclose screens, very rustic, with quite primitive carving, the main screen is earlier and of higher (for the area) quality. Other features are a rare stone reredos in the S chapel, a good decorated font, what appears to be a trebuchet hiding at the base of the tower and a very odd gravestone in the shape of a tree stump from the 1860’s.
  • marion
    Desperate countryside, isn t it - but so close to pretty Wolds. Very good church. Marion
    Message 2 of 2 , Nov 1, 2012
    View Source
    • 0 Attachment
      Desperate countryside, isn't it - but so close to pretty Wolds. Very good church.
      Marion

      On 1 Nov 2012, at 08:16, Chris Stafford wrote:

      > [Attachment(s) from Chris Stafford included below]
      >
      > Theddlethorpe All Saints Lincs
      >
      > A real patchwork quilt of a church, local greenstone, fine Tudor brick, Weldon limestone, ironstone all can be found here in various quantities, mainly perpendicular in style this CCT church has the remains of a Norman doorway set above the N arcade, a collection of chevron detailed blocks. Known locally as the Cathedral of the Marshes, it is one of the best examples in this remote and underpopulated area. It stands in the middle of the largest concentration of CCT churches in the country, there are ten churches within a ten mile radius of Louth. Notable here are the two parclose screens, very rustic, with quite primitive carving, the main screen is earlier and of higher (for the area) quality. Other features are a rare stone reredos in the S chapel, a good decorated font, what appears to be a trebuchet hiding at the base of the tower and a very odd gravestone in the shape of a tree stump from the 1860’s.
    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.