A Northants Contrast

  • Chris Stafford
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1 1:08 PM
      A Northants Contrast

      I’ve been playing nursemaid to Mrs Stafford over the past couple of weeks, following a major, but routine, operation and as part of her post-operative care programme I took her out for a trip round in the car today. For the first time in a fortnight I managed to get inside a church, we went to see some of my customers in Oundle and Thrapston and I then went on to Cranford, no not that Cranford... (the one in Lizzy Gaskells books is based on Knutsford in Cheshire). This one is actually two close villages in Northants, Cranford St Andrew and Cranford St John.

      Cranford St Andrew (CCT 1996)

      Parking up in the narrow dead ended main street, we collect the key and head off through the parkland of the nearby hall, past a fine dovecote and are soon in the church. It is a rewarding visit, the 13th/14th C church has many fine features, we enjoyed the E window, a good collection of Dutch and German glass, assembled by the Robinson family from the hall, also the Victorian pulpit contains three excellent renaissance panels featuring New Testament scenes. The S chapel door is rather interesting, a squashed ogee headed arch dated 1674. The interior is guarded by a friendly Henry that scuttled out to greet us.

      I had hoped to get into Cranford St John, just a few hundred yards away, (we saw it from the grounds of St Andrew) but the keyholder resolutely refused to answer the door, so I decided to take Jane to the nearby....

      Lowick St Peter

      I know wonderful Lowick has featured in CC several times, but Jane had not been here so I thought she would enjoy the super collection of monuments and the smashing glass in this fine perpy church. The glass is from about 1320, supposedly from a Jesse tree and the monuments are here because this is the church for Drayton House, a large stately home of medieval origin, which is not normally open to the public, except in organized groups. Lowick is kept locked but the keyholders are nearby and most obliging.
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1 2:31 PM
        I hope Jane will soon be completely well again.

        Wonderful shots of the angel; i particularly like the one seen through the 'screen', it looks surprised.

        Marion

        On 1 Mar 2012, at 21:08, Chris Stafford wrote:

        > A Northants Contrast
        >
        > I’ve been playing nursemaid to Mrs Stafford over the past couple of weeks, following a major, but routine, operation and as part of her post-operative care programme I took her out for a trip round in the car today. For the first time in a fortnight I managed to get inside a church, we went to see some of my customers in Oundle and Thrapston and I then went on to Cranford, no not that Cranford... (the one in Lizzy Gaskells books is based on Knutsford in Cheshire). This one is actually two close villages in Northants, Cranford St Andrew and Cranford St John.
        >
        > Cranford St Andrew (CCT 1996)
        >
        > Parking up in the narrow dead ended main street, we collect the key and head off through the parkland of the nearby hall, past a fine dovecote and are soon in the church. It is a rewarding visit, the 13th/14th C church has many fine features, we enjoyed the E window, a good collection of Dutch and German glass, assembled by the Robinson family from the hall, also the Victorian pulpit contains three excellent renaissance panels featuring New Testament scenes. The S chapel door is rather interesting, a squashed ogee headed arch dated 1674. The interior is guarded by a friendly Henry that scuttled out to greet us.
        >
        > I had hoped to get into Cranford St John, just a few hundred yards away, (we saw it from the grounds of St Andrew) but the keyholder resolutely refused to answer the door, so I decided to take Jane to the nearby....
        >
        > Lowick St Peter
        >
        > I know wonderful Lowick has featured in CC several times, but Jane had not been here so I thought she would enjoy the super collection of monuments and the smashing glass in this fine perpy church. The glass is from about 1320, supposedly from a Jesse tree and the monuments are here because this is the church for Drayton House, a large stately home of medieval origin, which is not normally open to the public, except in organized groups. Lowick is kept locked but the keyholders are nearby and most obliging.

      • KENNETH PAVER
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 2 7:14 AM
          Hope Mrs. S. benefited from the run out on what appeas to have been a lovely spring like day.
          As for the churches, a superb duo.