St Stephen's Church, Bush Hill Park

  • John Salmon
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2012
      I was hoping to visit this local church to photograph the interior.
      As there is no contact details except telephone or address of vicarage I
      decided to write a letter.

      I have just had a reply - our photography fee is £25. I do not intend to
      pay this unless I can get sponsorship!! Your comments would be welcome.

      Hopefully the incumbent will retire next year when he is 70 and a more
      moderate person will be put in charge.

      JR
    • Marcel
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1, 2012
        If I had to pay 25 pounds (can’t find the symbol) per church I’ve visited last year, it would have cost me a whopping 1875 pounds. Rediculous.

        Marcel.

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 1, 2012
          Much as I admire your photos which are always of the highest quality, please count me out of the sponsorship stakes

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 2, 2012
            Absolutely shocking - your scanned pictures seem more than adequate.
            How can he justify such a charge? I think he has just invented that in response to your request. A bit of a chancer. That beats even some of our cathedrals.

            I usually donate £1 to each church I visit, however that can make for an expensive day out. I give more if the church seems a bit isolated and dilapidated, without many obviously rich properties/villagers close by. If my pocket of change is running low with more churches to visit then a well-cared for church in an affluent setting may get nothing!

            GBP 25 ? I still cannot get over that!

            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 2, 2012
              Yes, I was shocked as well. I certainly don't mind being asked for a
              donation and generally try to give one.
              Having visited 800 London churches I think this is the first time I
              have been asked to pay (except of course this church when I visited
              about 20 years ago when he asked £5). In fact quite a number of others
              give me a guide book without expecting a donation, especially when they
              realise that I have serious interest in the church.

              It is rather interesting that the London Diocesan Year Book only gives
              the vicars name and address and phone number. Normally there are details
              of curates, NSM, Admin staff, and Readers. There is of no website and no
              email address. As I said before, hopefully he is near retiring next year.

              I have decided that one Sunday I will attend a service and see what is
              happening there. There is supposed to be 355 on the electoral roll, so
              it should be packed and I shall get lost in the crowd.

              JR

              On 02/02/2012 11:57, ChurchCrawler wrote:
              > Absolutely shocking - your scanned pictures seem more than adequate.
              > How can he justify such a charge? I think he has just invented that in response to your request. A bit of a chancer. That beats even some of our cathedrals.
              >
              > I usually donate £1 to each church I visit, however that can make for an expensive day out. I give more if the church seems a bit isolated and dilapidated, without many obviously rich properties/villagers close by. If my pocket of change is running low with more churches to visit then a well-cared for church in an affluent setting may get nothing!
              >
              > GBP 25 ? I still cannot get over that!
              >
              > Best wishes
              > Phil

            • Andy Foster
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 2, 2012
                John

                If you've met the man before, even 20 years back, this may not work; but I had to get into one famously difficult Anglo-Catholic church in the Black Country, Fr. -----'s first suggestion was a date four months in advance. In the end I persuaded him to see me briefly, not to look round properly at that stage, after a weekday mass. After he'd actually set eyes on me and seen that I didn't have little horns and a tail, he was delightful and took me round pointing out the Comper window and a nice side altar which turned out to be J. Eadie Reid, and more.

                It was the actual personal contact that did it. Not sure if it will help with yours.

                AF