RE: [Churchcrawling] Not what it used to be -St Peter Peterchurch, Hereford [3 Attachments]

  • Michael G Hardy
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2011

      Richard

      I ought to thank you for the pictures of Peterchurch, although I really feel that I had rather not seen them.  I looked at my slides of 1998 to remind myself that the celestial ceiling in the apse was there then, as was the fibre glass spire.  Obviously an economic case could always be made for that, as replicating the stone one could well have been impossible, and maybe unwise considering its height.

      However the interior changes are quite unbelievable.  I thought of scanning some of my old slides, but actually there are plenty of photos of "what it used to be" at the Corpus of Romanesque Sculpture:

      Finally, in your photos I cannot see the Norman font, which used to proudly stand right where it belonged between the N and S doors.  Where has it been shuffled off to?   On that change alone, I despair that anybody would think it proper to make such an alteration to an original feature in such a splendid Norman church.  However, even worse is the fact that all this must have been sanctioned by the authorities, from CoE and EH.

      Michael G Hardy

      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 1, 2011
      • 1 Attachment
      • 147 KB
      Michael,
      Many thanks for the reference to old photographs: excellent site, which saves my looking out old slides.
      The font is preserved among the clobber, just behind the chancel arch to the left. Picture attached.