Re: [Churchcrawling] Ignored Derbyshire : Bakewell, OT!

  • Doris Howe
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 1, 2011
      On 31/05/2011 23:50, RICHARD CAMP wrote:

      "and the grandeur of Bakewell. "
      The other great thing about Bakewell- and i wish I could visit the town-
      must be the genuine Bakewell Tart:-
      I had occasion to speak on the 'phone to one of the biggest doll
      suppliers there
      (for Gotz)
      and the secretary told me the kind we buy in the supermarkets are just
      nonsense-
      nothing like the real thing.
      Perhaps I should have asked her to pack one with the doll I bought...
      I'm assured the same holds good for trhe difference between Guiness
      drunk in Ireland
      and here .:-)
      Perhaps you would buy a genuine Bakewell Tart if you are there and give
      us your verdict?
      Doris><>

      --
      *MODERATOR:

      THERE ARE TWO MEANS OF REFUGE IN LIFE...........MUSIC AND CATS
      ALBERT SCHWEITZER

      Faith is a sounder guide than reason.
      Reason can go only so far,
      but Faith has no limit.
      BLAISE PASCAL
      *
    • RICHARD CAMP
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 1, 2011
        Doris.
        The so-called `real' Bakewell tarts are, what is called in Derbyshire, `clarty' and horrible: like eating soap; stick to Tesco!
        Richard

        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 1, 2011
          Thanks Richard.
          I usually buy Tesco's so that's nice to know.
          The only other things I know about Derbyshire- apart from the Scenery in
          Pride& Prejudice...
          is thea doll seller who lives there who insists on calling everyone
          'Chook'...

          Before we moved here my brother in Norfolk asked when I telephoned once
          'Who's that?'
          "It's me" I replied.ungramatically.
          "Oh! That's much too posh a voice for Norfolk' he said
          A fellow doll collector in Durham said how 'posh' I sounded.
          My Girl's Grammar School in Canterbury subjected every 1st year's
          intake to one year of
          'speech training'.
          No choice...
          It didn't stop 'Chook' from ringing me once at 7.30.a.m. to enquire
          about a doll tho':-)

          Incidentally,Martin went to a cat show there once
          and told me he knew exactly where he was because
          the lady in the office at the Station sounded exactly like...Chook!

          I like regional accents but NOT! that one..
          no offence meant.....
          Doris<><

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 1, 2011
            Doris,
            Interesting variant: when I buy something in Bakewell market, the answer is always `thanks dook' (=duck).