Re: [Churchcrawling] A New County is Discovered; an old one is lost

  • RICHARD CAMP
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 1, 2011
      The Friends of Friendless Churches took the larger view.

      From: bangsflynn@... <bangsflynn@...>
      Subject: Re: [Churchcrawling] A New County is Discovered
      To: Churchcrawling@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Thursday, 31 March, 2011, 19:49

      tsk, tsk !

      jeremy

      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 1, 2011
        Mention of the Friends brings up a problem I had yesterday whilst planning my
        Pembrokeshire crawl this June, in their fine recent book 'Saving Churches' the
        Friends list Rhoscrowther as one of their properties, however the web site makes
        no mention of this one, does anyone know if this church now out of bounds due to
        the abandonment of the village?

        Chris

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 1, 2011
          Why not enquire with AMS / Friends? Matthew will tell you.

          AF

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 1, 2011
            Chris,
            St Decuman's was one of Caroe's best restorations: well worth visiting if you can get in, and do not mind the extensive view of oil refineries: close now to the new site for shipping in natural gas from the far east: so potentially an even more explosive situation....
            The Church is accessible but I don't know if a caretaker/keyholder has yet been found. If you phone or e-mail Matthew Saunders at the Friends of Friendless Churches, he will be able to tell you the latest situation.
            You will love the distinctive Pembrokeshire churches for their settings (apart from those near Milford Haven) and distinctive narrow church towers. On the way, I hope you will be able to call at St Mary's, Havefordwest: an Early English gem, always open.
            Thank you again for those wonderful images from Somerset and Dorset.
            Best wishes,
            Richard