Re: Sir Walter Tapper's St Oswald, Lythe

  • John Whitworth
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 1, 2009
      --- In Churchcrawling@yahoogroups.com, marion <at.hazard@...> wrote:

      > Me too. And the one you supplied JR looks very odd - like a series of
      > stacked chairs, or if I access it another way, it seems to have a
      > banner across the middle of the screen and the identification of the
      > building falls off the screen.
      >
      > Marion

      Marion, JRS and Andy,

      Can you please let me know what browsers you are using, and which operating system, and also, what screen resolution?

      Andy - I suspect that you may have Javascript turned off in your browser?
      Marion - I did test in Safari, but on a PC, so not sure why it should not work for you.

      If anyone is seeing anything strange with any of my sites, a screen grab to my personal email address would be appreciated, as it's only in this way that I can become aware of many faults.

      Thanks

      John
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 1, 2009
        On 1 Jul 2009, at 08:56, John Whitworth wrote:

        > --- In Churchcrawling@yahoogroups.com, marion <at.hazard@...> wrote:
        >>
        >> Me too. And the one you supplied JR looks very odd - like a series of
        >> stacked chairs, or if I access it another way, it seems to have a
        >> banner across the middle of the screen and the identification of the
        >> building falls off the screen.
        >>
        >> Marion
        >

        > Marion, JRS and Andy,
        >
        > Can you please let me know what browsers you are using, and which
        > operating system, and also, what screen resolution?
        >
        > Andy - I suspect that you may have Javascript turned off in your
        > browser?
        > Marion - I did test in Safari, but on a PC, so not sure why it
        > should not work for you.

        John, I don't use safari, I use firefox. Sorry, don't know what
        screen resolution, default for macs I 'spose.

        > If anyone is seeing anything strange with any of my sites, a screen
        > grab to my personal email address would be appreciated, as it's
        > only in this way that I can become aware of many faults.

        What's a screengrab?

        Marion
      • John Salmon
        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 1, 2009
          Nothing comes up saying Archive; only next or previous.
          John

          John Whitworth wrote:
          > --- In Churchcrawling@yahoogroups.com, John Salmon <j.r.salmon@...> wrote:
          >> You say several pictures. I can only find one for each church.
          >> Am I missing something?
          >> John
          >>
          > You need to use the left hand menu, to expand "The Churches", then "St Oswald", then "Archive" etc...
          >
          > JW

        • rejcmpdj
          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 1, 2009
            The site is looking great John. No problems viewing here.

            I have been looking up Tapper in the Pevsner volumes for Norfolk.

            Have no idea whether you are going to expand the remit of the site to include restorations and furnishings, these are the only references to Tapper in the Norfolk volumes: -

            He rebuilt the west end at Smallburgh St. Peter 1902. This is usually open on Saturday mornings.

            Figures for the rood at Burnham Deepdale St. Mary in 1932. Usually open.

            Hunstanton St. Mary has some stalls from 1928. Not sure of the locking status of this one.

            Hope this helps John. All the best with the site, looking forward to seeing further developments.

            John (Norfolk, UK).
          • John Salmon
            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 1, 2009
              I am using Internet Explorer.
              John

              John Salmon wrote:
              > Nothing comes up saying Archive; only next or previous.
              > John
              >
              > John Whitworth wrote:
              >> --- In Churchcrawling@yahoogroups.com, John Salmon <j.r.salmon@...> wrote:
              >>> You say several pictures. I can only find one for each church.
              >>> Am I missing something?
              >>> John
              >>>
              >> You need to use the left hand menu, to expand "The Churches", then "St Oswald", then "Archive" etc...
              >>
              >> JW
            • Andy Foster
              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 1, 2009
                John

                Is Microsoft Internet Explorer a 'browser'. If so, that. I certainly don't
                have Java. The cup of tea isn't there at the bottom, and I can't expand
                churchplansonline plans. How do I turn it on?

                Andy F

                Message 7 of 19 , Jul 1, 2009
                  On 1 Jul 2009, at 10:28, John Salmon wrote:

                  > Nothing comes up saying Archive; only next or previous.
                  > John

                • John Whitworth
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jul 1, 2009
                    --- In Churchcrawling@yahoogroups.com, John Salmon <j.r.salmon@...> wrote:

                    > Nothing comes up saying Archive; only next or previous.
                    > John
                    >
                    > John Whitworth wrote:
                    > > --- In Churchcrawling@yahoogroups.com, John Salmon <j.r.salmon@> wrote:
                    > >> You say several pictures. I can only find one for each church.
                    > >> Am I missing something?
                    > >> John
                    > >>
                    > > You need to use the left hand menu, to expand "The Churches", then "St Oswald", then "Archive" etc...
                    > >
                    > > JW

                    As you press next and previous, do you just see one picture of each of Tapper's churches?

                    JW
                  • John Whitworth
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jul 1, 2009
                      --- In Churchcrawling@yahoogroups.com, "Andy Foster" <af012p6562@...> wrote:

                      > John
                      >
                      > Is Microsoft Internet Explorer a 'browser'. If so, that. I certainly don't
                      > have Java. The cup of tea isn't there at the bottom, and I can't expand
                      > churchplansonline plans. How do I turn it on?

                      Hi Andy,

                      Java is different to Javascript, and now that you are able to see the different pictures, we can safely assume that Javascript IS installed and working.

                      For churchplansonline, you need to go to www.sun.com, and download and install Java.

                      JW
                    • John Whitworth
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jul 1, 2009
                        --- In Churchcrawling@yahoogroups.com, marion <at.hazard@...> wrote:

                        > What's a screengrab?

                        Not being a Mac person, I cannot vouch for the content here, but try:

                        http://www.apple.com/pro/tips/secretcapture.html

                        JW
                      • John Whitworth
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jul 1, 2009
                          --- In Churchcrawling@yahoogroups.com, John Salmon <j.r.salmon@...> wrote:

                          > You say several pictures. I can only find one for each church.
                          > Am I missing something?
                          > John

                          If you click the "The Churches" wording, you arrive at a page with one image for each of Tapper's churches. However, if you click the + symbol, to the left of "The Churches", the menu should expand, and you can go to Lythe's proper entry.

                          JW
                        • John Whitworth
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jul 1, 2009
                            --- In Churchcrawling@yahoogroups.com, "rejcmpdj" <jcdagnall@...> wrote:

                            > The site is looking great John. No problems viewing here.
                            >
                            > I have been looking up Tapper in the Pevsner volumes for Norfolk.
                            >
                            > Have no idea whether you are going to expand the remit of the site to include restorations and furnishings, these are the only references to Tapper in the Norfolk volumes: -
                            >
                            > He rebuilt the west end at Smallburgh St. Peter 1902. This is usually open on Saturday mornings.
                            >
                            > Figures for the rood at Burnham Deepdale St. Mary in 1932. Usually open.
                            >
                            > Hunstanton St. Mary has some stalls from 1928. Not sure of the locking status of this one.
                            >
                            > Hope this helps John. All the best with the site, looking forward to seeing further developments.
                            >
                            > John (Norfolk, UK).

                            Many thanks John. I will, eventually get to restorations, and probably furniture. Need to get complete (or near complete) churches finished first though really!

                            JW
                          • John Salmon
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jul 1, 2009
                              YES

                              John Whitworth wrote:
                              > --- In Churchcrawling@yahoogroups.com, John Salmon <j.r.salmon@...> wrote:
                              >> Nothing comes up saying Archive; only next or previous.
                              >> John
                              >>
                              >> John Whitworth wrote:
                              >>>>
                              >>> You need to use the left hand menu, to expand "The Churches", then "St Oswald", then "Archive" etc...
                              >>>
                              >>> JW
                              >
                              > As you press next and previous, do you just see one picture of each of Tapper's churches?
                              >
                              > JW

                            • John Whitworth
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jul 1, 2009
                                --- In Churchcrawling@yahoogroups.com, John Salmon <j.r.salmon@...> wrote:

                                > YES

                                As per my other post, you need to press the + symbol to the left of "The Churches".

                                JW