Simon Jenkins

  • diane ridley
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 1, 2009
      Hi

      The above was on Aled Jones show this morning on Radio 2 talking about Welsh Churches, listen again via BBC I-player.

      Happpy St David's Day to Richard and Mr Neill!

      Best

      Diane Ridley

    • RICHARD CAMP
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 1, 2009
        Diane,
        V. many thanks for the reference: will listen to Simon J. later. For the first time for years, there are no daffodils out for St David.
        Best wishes,
        Richard

      • nmbr20601@blueyonder.co.uk
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 1, 2009
          Diolch y Fawr! We had a bilingual Welsh and English service at church
          today with all Welsh hymns and sermon based around St David. It was a
          lovely service and although literally just across the bridge it was just
          like being in Wales!
          Happy St Davids Day to everybody!
          Mr Neil

          > Hi
          >

          > The above was on Aled Jones show this morning on Radio 2 talking about
          > Welsh Churches, listen again via BBC I-player.
          >

          > Happpy St David's Day to Richard and Mr Neill!
          >

          > Best
          >
          > Diane Ridley

        • RICHARD CAMP
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 1, 2009
            Well done, Mr Neil. St David's Day was not even mentioned during the eucharist service at Defynnog this morning: did not even have favourite St David's Day hymn.
            n.b. very early electrically-powered organ (1894) at Llanrhaeadr: built by Hope-Jones. Specimens of his work said to be rare in this country now, though more common in America where he developed his ideas further.
            Best wishes,
            Richard

            Diolch y Fawr! We had a bilingual Welsh and English service at church
            today with all Welsh hymns and sermon based around St David. It was a
            lovely service and although literally just across the bridge it was just
            like being in Wales!
            Happy St Davids Day to everybody!
            Mr Neil

            > Hi
            >

            > The above was on Aled Jones show this morning on Radio 2 talking about
            > Welsh Churches, listen again via BBC I-player.
            >

            > Happpy St David's Day to Richard and Mr Neill!
            >

            > Best
            >
            > Diane Ridley

            > 25GB of FREE Online Storage – Find out more
            > http://clk.atdmt com/UKM/go/ 134665320/ direct/01/

          • Barry Caselli
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 1, 2009
              I think the great organ of Ocean Grove Auditorium here in New Jersey is a Hope-Jones. I think it's the second largest organ in America? Maybe.
              Ocean Grove is an old Methodist camp meeting.
              Barry

              Diolch y Fawr! We had a bilingual Welsh and English service at church
              today with all Welsh hymns and sermon based around St David. It was a
              lovely service and although literally just across the bridge it was just
              like being in Wales!
              Happy St Davids Day to everybody!
              Mr Neil

              > Hi
              >

              > The above was on Aled Jones show this morning on Radio 2 talking about
              > Welsh Churches, listen again via BBC I-player.
              >

              > Happpy St David's Day to Richard and Mr Neill!
              >

              > Best
              >
              > Diane Ridley

              > 25GB of FREE Online Storage – Find out more
              > http://clk.atdmt com/UKM/go/ 134665320/ direct/01/

            • N MARCHANT2
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 1, 2009
                Did you have many people at Defynog? I shall be passing Defynog church on the 13th - so might try the door. I want to try and get to Caio too.
                We had about 30 this morning. We sang a wonderful hymn (it was sung in the funderal scene in the film Two Men went up a mountain) and of course I made the organ thunder! We had leeks and daffodils around the pulpit and Rev Lewis gave a good account of the life of St David. He also prayed for everybody in the chapels through out Wales at this time who are experiencing disapointment as so many are closing.
                I think the world will be a poorer place without the music and choirs of the chapel although clearly the eisteddfoddai keep all this going I guess.
                I haven't tried a Hope Jons organ yet. I used to play a huge Hele organ in Bristol but now play a two manual local built organ of 1899 at the URC which is quite temperamental but we're not allowed to modernise as it was recently restored under covenant.
                I like playing the small chamber organs the best - they fascinate me.
                Best Wishes
                Neil

                Find out what Neil's up to on
                http://neilfloyd.blogspot.com/

                Diolch y Fawr! We had a bilingual Welsh and English service at church
                today with all Welsh hymns and sermon based around St David. It was a
                lovely service and although literally just across the bridge it was just
                like being in Wales!
                Happy St Davids Day to everybody!
                Mr Neil

                > Hi
                >

                > The above was on Aled Jones show this morning on Radio 2 talking about
                > Welsh Churches, listen again via BBC I-player.
                >

                > Happpy St David's Day to Richard and Mr Neill!
                >

                > Best
                >
                > Diane Ridley

                > 25GB of FREE Online Storage – Find out more
                > http://clk.atdmt com/UKM/go/ 134665320/ direct/01/

              • Alan Taylor
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 2, 2009
                  Saints days are transferred if they fall on a Sunday.

                  The complete Hope Jones organ is being brought back to like at Battersea
                  Town hall at present.

                  Alan

                  _____

                  <mailto:nmbr20601%40blueyonder.co.uk> r.co.uk <nmbr20601@blueyonde