Re: [Churchcrawling] Backups

    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 1, 2009
      On 1 Feb 2009, at 00:02, David Bryant wrote:

      > "There was a piece in The Times the other day by some important person
      > in The British Library saying that future generations won't have the
      > family photo archives our generation has because of the evanescence
      > of modern photographic formats - digital stuff."
      >
      > I can believe it. Personally, I still get photos printed and put
      > them in
      > photo albums - not a great fan of Flickr, and actively dislike
      > Facebook and
      > its ilk.
      >
      > Photo-sharing websites won't be around for ever, and computers
      > usually get
      > thrown away after a few years, whereas prints and negatives can sit
      > around
      > in boxes for decades. With digital images, unless people make a
      > conscious
      > effort to keep them they are likely to get lost somewhere along the
      > line
      > within a few years.

      I think this is the problem the BL library spokesperson was talking
      about: photo creators now have to remain alert to keep their images;
      if people become inactive through age or infirmity their images
      disappear. Daniel's French wall paintings archive disappeared very
      quickly after he became really ill. Old b&w photos lurk around no
      matter how inactive their creators become.

      Marion