Re: [Churchcrawling] Stained Glass for Dummies

  • richard nevins
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 1, 2001
      From: <drdigi@...>
      To: <Churchcrawling@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Wednesday, January 31, 2001 9:58 PM
      Subject: [Churchcrawling] Stained Glass for Dummies

      > Kempe
      > Hardman
      > Morris

      Apart from the obvious look and feel of their works, as described by several
      other members of the group, I guess the main difference between Morris and
      Kempe is, that foremost Morris is an artist, whereas Kempe is a technician,
      and this shows in the quality of their work. The finished product of morris
      is more a complete canvas, ragged edges included. on the other hand Kempe,
      delivers a clean package that often lacks an artistic flair.

      As for Hardman....aint got a clue.

      Richard.
    • P R Wain
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 4, 2001
        Just to say that I am still alive and enjoying reading the list when I have
        a chance to suck my e-mail down.

        Am half-way through two weeks training in London. Have been walking from
        Russell Square to the New North Road by a different route each day. Am
        amazed by how many churches there are in London, and saddened to think that
        much of the history is being forgotten. Have now had our accommodation
        switched to Stoke Newington -- elegant steeple visible behind us -- must
        explore.

        What is the technical/semantic difference between a steeple and a spire?

        www.roundtowers.org.uk is still not available because of slowness in
        getting the address onto the DNS servers. Any day now ...

        Flight to Haiti booked for Feb 20th, various aspect of life getting a
        little frantic

        Pam

        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 6, 2001
          --- In Churchcrawling@y..., P R Wain <prwain2@y...> wrote:

          > What is the technical/semantic difference between a steeple and a
          spire?

          A steeple is a tower or a tower + spire.

          A spire is the pointy bit on the top of a tower.

          Interesting - one wonders when a pyramid roof "becomes" a spire (at
          what angle does the roof have to be to change from one to the other)?

          I presume 45 degrees would be an acceptable amount.

          doctor digi