Re: [Churchcrawling] Re: St. Catherine of Sienna Episcopal Church

    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 1, 2008
      If the blind arcading was opened up and replaced by glass and the
      tower removed you\ve got a supermarket. It's fairly similar to our
      'St Tesco' churches. {Tesco is our largest, most predatory
      supermarket chain.]

      Marion

      Message 2 of 22 , Sep 1, 2008
        Headed off to

        SONNING, Berkshire, today. It's small and very pretty, but according
        to one of the many churchyard tidier-uppers there today it isn't as
        nice to live in as it looks as it is attached to one of only three
        bridges over the river Thames in this part of the world, and so acts
        as an unofficial bypass for the city of Reading. People can't park
        near their houses. The best time for the village was last year when
        the bridge was put out of action by the Thames flooding when all was
        quiet and village-like for once.

        The church is large, handsome and principally Victorian rebuild by
        Woodyer 1850s and 1870s; the chancel is very lavishly decorated with
        a fine, slightly OTT, reredos, and brightly painted roof. There are
        brasses, but mostly hidden under a bright red carpet which cannot be
        rolled up easily, so I gave them a miss. A large pulpit with a
        swirling flight of steps leading up stands before the choir on the
        north side of the central aisle. The only obviously ancient item to
        be seen was a pillar piscina (photo failure). Some good glass -
        Victorian and the usual cheery kneelers, a couple of which I'll
        include in the pics. In the porch, plastic boot-covers were available
        to help keep this very large, difficult to maintain, church free from
        welly marks - it's very close to the Thames towpath and gets lots of
        visitors apparently.

        Outside the old mortuary has been tastefully transformed into a
        church room dedicated to St Sarik. The church, I was told, used to
        stand on the site of the neighbouring pub which was a place of
        pilgrimage to this personage. But who is he? No sign of the bishop's
        palace apart from the Tudor brick wall dividing the burial grounds.

        Went to look at the Thames towpath, and then on to:

        TWYFORD. Pevsner makes this sound so boring, I almost didn't stop,
        but it was almost worth calling in. I couldn't locate the lights
        which ought to shine on what I think might be a rood with figures,
        but it was so dark I wasn't sure. My flash is useless. Some nice
        pseudo-medieval paintings behind the altar on the reredos made the
        visit worth it, and a nice set of royal arms.

        on to:

        RUSCOMBE, which is probably my favourite church of the day, though
        it's small. It dates from two very distinct periods: Norman- chancel,
        and Stuart 1640 approx - nave, of brick, which makes it warm and
        friendly, like the Netherlandish churches we see sent by Marcel and
        Wim. The division between the two areas is made most attractive by a
        tympanum including a painted crucifixion - recent acquisition? and
        the ten commandments. A handsome pulpit with sounding board on the
        north side in front of the tympanum, and a pair of pretty, small
        Norman windows in the east end with the ghosts of medieval paintings
        in the window splays. More recently angels have been added to other
        window splays and on the organ case. Two old benches sit at the west
        end complete with ancient velvet cushions. Though there has evidently
        been damage in the church: the money safe had been ripped out and the
        visitors' book was missing, it is unlocked. Which is more than can be
        said for:

        WALTHAM ST LAWRENCE. A pity, as Pevsner makes it sound interesting.
        Outside it's a mess. I couldn't make any sort of sense of the east
        end at all. Huge yew by the lych gate but spoiled by its use as
        hiding place for traffic cones and the wheelie bin.

        WHITE WALTHAM. This gets a very poor write up in Pevsner, but as I
        was passing I stopped, and as luck would have it, the gate was being
        repaired and the chap repairing it had the keys to the vestry. He
        said that the church - which looked very Victorian on the outside,
        had been restored by Street, though Pevsner doent say whodunnit, as
        he evidently disapproves of what was done. I thought the pillars
        looked similar to those in Fawley so wouldn't be surprised if he had
        restored the church. I thought it much better than I had been led to
        expect. There is a very loud Mayer of Munich window in the south
        transept " so German!" P says. Colourful, certainly. Some other
        attractive glass in other places - less forceful. My friend at the
        gate told me there used to be a picture of the pre-resotration church
        on show - very Georgian, he said, with a square east window and
        almost flat nave roof.

        Satnav hadn't heard of SHOTTESBROOKE, which annoyed the hell out of
        me. But when I checked the road atlas it hadn't heard of it either.
        My gate-mending friend sent me more or less in the right direction,
        and I saw the very tall spire sticking out of the woods and headed
        off to find it. It is now in a gated park overseen to some degree by
        the Landmark Trust - they have the key anyway. Wonderful flowing
        tracery in the east window and fine glass by Hardman. The space comes
        as a surprise - but that's probably because it is unfurnished, bare,
        the brass black and unpolished, but it isn't a sad place - just
        reflective, quiet. Only a dead red admiral butterfly, its wings
        spread as if in the sunlight outside gave a sad note to the visit. A
        very, very fine tomb chest canopy in one of the transepts. Outside
        sheep grazing in the park and a glimpse of the big house, which
        according to Pevsner, shed 40 rooms recently. I should be so lucky as
        to shed 40 rooms and not mind.

        Beginning to feel wobbly as I hadn't eaten for too long, so stopped
        off for a sandwich and lime and lemonade.

        finally

        WARFIELD. I expected this to be locked as it's in the middle of
        nowhere, but at the 'back' is a very modern office and lots of
        evidence that this is a charismatic sort of church - which in some
        ways is good - it's too isolated to appeal to many traditionalists,
        and it warm, dry and well maintained; but on the other hand, items of
        great beauty and some rarity in Berkshire are hidden behind monstrous
        projection screens and other detritus : stacking chairs, and so on .
        One of the squints was full of folding ladder - now that degree of
        carelessness is not necessary, it almost makes an anti-historic and
        artistic statement, a sort of 'we don't care' about our church's
        heritage...

        It has a lovely stone screen between nave and chancel - dec. and a
        fine wooden screen complete with roodloft in the south aisle- partly
        hidden by a projection screen which I hoisted up as high as I could -
        not high enough. In the southern chapel are the shattered remains of
        a fabulous Easter Sepulchre, adn behind the altar - the chancel isn't
        used, thank goodness, is a beautifully carved sedelia, piscina and
        screen behind which has at least two green men's heads in amongst the
        carved foliage. Some pretty Victorian glass and fragments of med.
        glass, and slight signs of colour on one of the pillars.

        Handed back the key and headed off home. Sat nav had a brainstorm
        near Marlow, but I knew where I was by then.:p

        Marion
      • Barry Caselli
        Message 3 of 22 , Sep 1, 2008
          Hmmm.... I don't know what to say about this church. I don't hate it, but I'm not sure what else to say. No doubt if I came across it around here I would probably photograph it, given the opportunity.
          As for the name, I have photographed a St. Catherine of Sienna Roman Catholic church.

          Barry

          Message 4 of 22 , Sep 1, 2008
            --- In Churchcrawling@yahoogroups.com, marion <at.hazard@...> wrote:

            > Headed off to
            >
            > SONNING, Berkshire, today.

            You didn't look in the tower, did you...
            Message 5 of 22 , Sep 1, 2008
              On 1 Sep 2008, at 19:03, cbnewham wrote:

              > --- In Churchcrawling@yahoogroups.com, marion <at.hazard@...> wrote:
              >>
              >> Headed off to
              >>
              >> SONNING, Berkshire, today.
              >

              > You didn't look in the tower, did you...

              No, I don't do towers. :) Did you?

            • cbnewham
              Message 6 of 22 , Sep 1, 2008
                --- In Churchcrawling@yahoogroups.com, marion <at.hazard@...> wrote:

                > On 1 Sep 2008, at 19:03, cbnewham wrote:
                >
                > > --- In Churchcrawling@yahoogroups.com, marion <at.hazard@> wrote:
                > >>
                > >> Headed off to
                > >>
                > >> SONNING, Berkshire, today.
                > >

                > > You didn't look in the tower, did you...
                >
                > No, I don't do towers. :) Did you?

                You missed something hideously interesting.
                Message 7 of 22 , Sep 1, 2008
                  On 1 Sep 2008, at 19:07, cbnewham wrote:

                  >>> You didn't look in the tower, did you...
                  >>
                  >> No, I don't do towers. :) Did you?

                  > You missed something hideously interesting.

                  AH.. I remember reading that there was a curious monument somewhere -
                  but thought it must be locked in the vestry.

                • cbnewham
                  Message 8 of 22 , Sep 1, 2008
                    --- In Churchcrawling@yahoogroups.com, marion <at.hazard@...> wrote:

                    > >> No, I don't do towers. :) Did you?

                    > > You missed something hideously interesting.
                    >
                    > AH.. I remember reading that there was a curious monument somewhere -
                    > but thought it must be locked in the vestry.

                    The tower screen is locked but you can pull the curtains aside.

                    Well worth seeing as it is unique (to my knowledge). There are few
                    things so fascinatingly ugly as what that tower contains.

                    cbn
                    Message 9 of 22 , Sep 1, 2008
                      On 1 Sep 2008, at 19:12, cbnewham wrote:

                      >>> You missed something hideously interesting.
                      >>
                      >> AH.. I remember reading that there was a curious monument somewhere -
                      >> but thought it must be locked in the vestry.
                      >>

                      > The tower screen is locked but you can pull the curtains aside.
                      >
                      > Well worth seeing as it is unique (to my knowledge). There are few
                      > things so fascinatingly ugly as what that tower contains.

                      Stop teasing and send a pic ;P

                    • jo birch
                      Message 10 of 22 , Sep 1, 2008
                        Barry, I am surprised you haven’t photographed several. St Catherine of
                        Siena was designated a Doctor of the Church by Pope Paul VI. Her writings
                        are well read. Jo.

                        From: Les Center < lcenter5418@... <mailto:lcenter5418%40yahoo.com> >
                        To: "churchpictures" < churchpictures@yahoogroups.com
                        <mailto:churchpictures%40yahoogroups.com> >
                        Cc: "Churchcrawling" < Churchcrawling@yahoogroups.com
                        <mailto:Churchcrawling%40yahoogroups.com> >, "Gretchen Z. Mott" <
                        gretchenmott@... <mailto:gretchenmott%40att.net> >, "Rice P. White" <
                        ricepwhite@... <mailto:ricepwhite%40swbell.net> >

                        Message 11 of 22 , Sep 1, 2008
                          Come on now Cameron, you've got me interested, what did Marion miss?
                          Chris

                          Message 12 of 22 , Sep 1, 2008
                            It's probably because Catholic churches are few and far between, in South Jersey, unless you go into the cities on the coast or along the Delaware River, an area that I rarely see.

                            Hammonton, a town of 12,000, not far from here, has 3 Catholic churches, but that's very unusual, and is probably because Hammonton is mostly Italian.

                            --- On Sun, 8/31/08, Les Center < lcenter5418@ yahoo.com

                            From: Les Center < lcenter5418@ yahoo.com <mailto:lcenter5418 %40yahoo. com> >
                            To: "churchpictures" < churchpictures@ yahoogroups. com
                            <mailto:churchpictu res%40yahoogroup s.com> >
                            Cc: "Churchcrawling" < Churchcrawling@ yahoogroups. com
                            <mailto:Churchcrawl ing%40yahoogroup s.com> >, "Gretchen Z. Mott" <
                            gretchenmott@ att.net <mailto:gretchenmot t%40att.net> >, "Rice P. White" <
                            ricepwhite@swbell. net <mailto:ricepwhite% 40swbell. net> >

                            Message 13 of 22 , Sep 1, 2008
                              Same here, I am on the edge of my seat waiting to find out what it is.

                              --- In Churchcrawling@yahoogroups.com, Chris Stafford <h12wcc@...>

                              Message 14 of 22 , Sep 1, 2008
                                I think Cameron's referring to this, "a very remarkable monument
                                called by the Ecclesiologist in 1853 the vilest paganism
                                imaginable" (BoE Berkshire). Intriguing, isn't it. But what was
                                found vile paganism in 1853 might be very small beer now. :p

                                Marion
                                On 1 Sep 2008, at 19:29, Chris Stafford wrote:

                                > Come on now Cameron, you've got me interested, what did Marion miss?
                                > Chris
                              • Les Center
                                Message 15 of 22 , Sep 1, 2008
                                  I'm quite surprised that� no one has called me on the spelling of "Sienna." Nobody seems to have noticed the two different spellings. I believe Jo has it right. I� think it's funny that the Sienna Plantation uses two 'N's and no one says anything about it.� I checked carefully this last visit, to make sure I was doing it just as they did.� It is quite clearly, "Sienna" in Texas, as opposed to "Siena,"in Italy.---Les.

                                  From: Les Center < lcenter5418@ yahoo.com <mailto:lcenter5418 %40yahoo. com> >
                                  To: "churchpictures" < churchpictures@ yahoogroups. com
                                  <mailto:churchpictu res%40yahoogroup s.com> >
                                  Cc: "Churchcrawling" < Churchcrawling@ yahoogroups. com

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Sep 1, 2008
                                    You know I was thinking that the two "n"s looked wrong, but I was't quite sure.

                                    From: Les Center < lcenter5418@ yahoo.com <mailto:lcenter5418 %40yahoo.
                                    com> >
                                    To: "churchpictures" < churchpictures@ yahoogroups. com
                                    <mailto:churchpictu res%40yahoogroup s.com> >
                                    Cc: "Churchcrawling" < Churchcrawling@ yahoogroups. com

                                    Message 17 of 22 , Sep 1, 2008
                                      Two urns, four putti?
                                      Is that the one?