Unknown church

  • Martin Carson
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 31, 2007
      I wonder if anyone recognises this building (pictures to
      Churchpictures). I do apologise for the quality of the images which
      are more 'screen captures' from an old video.

      There are clues in a)the unusual roof panels, b)what appear to be
      coats-of-arms around the walls and c) a large statue behind the quire.
      The presence of a singing choir is not necessarily helpful as they
      could be visiting.

      Many thanks,

      Martin

      --
      Carson
      Norfolk UK
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 1, 2007
        I am not 100% certain but I think this could be the Chapel of Bishop Auckland Castle.

        Best wishes
        Phil
        Bristol UK
        www.churchcrawler.co.uk
        Owner of ChurchCrawling and churchpictures
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/churchpictures
        http://churchcrawler.blogspot.com
        http://churchcrawling.blogspot.com/
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/churchcrawler/

        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 1, 2007
          In message <002701c7ec6b$3c39b860$5c172052@Philspc>
          "ChurchCrawler" <phil_bristoluk@...> wrote:

          > I am not 100% certain but I think this could be the Chapel of Bishop
          > Auckland Castle.

          Thanks a lot. Spot on. It was the choir I needed to identify.
          Purple cassocks, singing in Bishop Auckland . . . has to be Durham
          Cathedral Choir.

          Martin

          --
          Carson
          Norfolk UK
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 8, 2015
          I haven't been in touch for a long time and so don't know how the
          various changes that have occurred affect things. I hope I can still
          send a picture to this group. I have been asked to try to identify the
          church depicted in a painting purchased by a friend of a friend of mine.
          Unfortunately I have only a rather poor image to send and can't get a
          better one. It is marked "Doncaster 1840" but we have ruled out any
          Doncaster church past or present. It has similarities to Rotherham but
          the orientation relative to the river seems wrong although everything
          else seems to fit so perhaps I am simply mistaking the view. It seems to
          me to show the view from the NE but the river runs to the west. We think
          it shows a central spire but it could be on a tower mid-way along the
          south side. I can't think of any such examples at present (I'm sure I've
          seen some though). We have also ruled out Sheffield cathedral, Arksey
          and East Retford which have a passing resemblance to it. Can anyone
          suggest other possibilities?

          Ted
        • ChurchCrawler