Re: [Churchcrawling] Northants Crawl

    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 1, 2007
      Any photos, Chris?

      Marion

      > From: Chris Stafford
      > Date: Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:46 pm
      > Subject: Northants Crawl h12wcc

    • Chris Stafford
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 1, 2007
        Hi Marion

        Please forgive me, I have tried twice to post photos with this blog, but both times they have vanished, I'm new to this, so I am probably doing something stupid. I'll try to attach some with this email, and send it to both Churchcrawling and Churchpictures, see if I'm more successful, if there's anyone who can work out what I'm doing wrong I appreciate a hand.

        Thanks Chris

        marion <at.hazard@...> wrote:
        Any photos, Chris?

        Marion

        > From: Chris Stafford
        > Date: Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:46 pm
        > Subject: Northants Crawl h12wcc

      • Doris Howe
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 1, 2007
          As Phil constantly reminds me..:-)
          It's pics. with text to churchpictures with copy to churchcrawling....
          Doris><>!
          > Please forgive me, I have tried twice to post photos with this blog, but
          > both times they have vanished, I'm new to this, so I am probably doing
          > something stupid. I'll try to attach some with this email, and send it to
          > both Churchcrawling and Churchpictures, see if I'm more successful, if
          > there's anyone who can work out what I'm doing wrong I appreciate a hand.
          >
          > Thanks Chris
          >
          > marion <at.hazard@...> wrote:
          > Any photos, Chris?
          >
          > Marion
          >
          >> From: Chris Stafford
          >> Date: Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:46 pm
          >> Subject: Northants Crawl h12wcc

          > Don't forget to Email URLs of websites to members that you have found and
          > think are worthy of recommendation.
          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • ChurchCrawler
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 1, 2007
            You did nothing wrong - they were waiting to be moderated. The first message which I copied had no pictures attached.
            I am deleting all bar one of the pics in the second message as they appear to have otherwise been the same pictures attached.
            Best wishes
            Phil
            Bristol UK
            www.churchcrawler.co.uk
            Owner of ChurchCrawling and churchpictures
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/churchpictures
            http://churchcrawler.blogspot.com
            http://churchcrawling.blogspot.com/
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/churchcrawler/
            Please forgive me, I have tried twice to post photos with this blog, but both times they have vanished, I'm new to this, so I am probably doing something stupid. I'll try to attach some with this email, and send it to both Churchcrawling and Churchpictures, see if I'm more successful, if there's anyone who can work out what I'm doing wrong I appreciate a hand.

            Thanks Chris

            marion <at.hazard@...> wrote:
            Any photos, Chris?

            Marion

            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 1, 2007
              Excellent photos. Thanks Chris.

              Marion
            • Chris Stafford
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 9, 2012
                Northants Crawl

                A much looked forward to trip round the wonders of East Northants with Marion and Ken got off to a great start as I collected Ken from Peterborough station, he’d had a good journey down, soon we were on our way to Warmington, our first church. Sadly Marion, who was driving up to meet us, was held up by extremely slow traffic and did not catch up with us until the following church. I’ll not submit too many pictures as I’ve previously done all these churches, hopefully Marion and Ken will add further pictures over the next few days.

                Warmington St Mary

                A big village church, fine EE details, including a splendid porch, we were exploring the exterior when Brian, the incumbent, came to greet us. He needed to be with us as he was struggling to get the next church, Cotterstock, open for us and was going on to it with the key!  Warmington has some lovely features, a good, unusual medieval roof with fearsome bosses, a rebuilt and repainted screen, a good pulpit and a recently installed organ, Brian told us how they got it from a school and had to use a chain saw to take it apart, as they only had a few days before it was to be replaced and put in a skip! It is strikingly 1970’s in style, two villagers were so upset by the design they have stopped coming to the church...

                Cotterstock St Andrew

                Brian had to open this one up for us, even he is not allowed a S or W door key, we had to go in through the vestry, he is hoping that shortly, with a change of churchwarden, there will be a new approach to visiting and Cotterstock will be like all his other churches, open every day. There is nothing here that would need to change. The glory of Cotterstock is the lovely decorated chancel, bright, light and airy, with a fine sedilia and pillar piscine, this contrast severely with the dark Norman/EE nave, looking like a gloomy cave after the fine chancel. To be honest I was a little disappointed with (originally Collegiate) Cotterstock, claimed to be the largest private foundation in England, 1Provost and 12 chaplains, but there is nothing left to prove this fact in the church or its surroundings. I suppose years of driving past every week has sharpened my expectations and disappointment was inevitable. Brian waited for us to finish and locked up as we left, stopping to take in the fine vaulted S porch and the view over the river, the new lighting system unobtrusive in the churchyard.

                Stoke Doyle St Rumbold

                A complete Georgian church from the early 18th C, a good Venetian window crowning a good E end, complete with a surrounding group of monuments. Marion wanted to give it a coat of Wedgewood blue paint, we cautioned her against attempting this.

                Aldwinkle St Peter

                A funeral was taking place here, within 30 minutes so I left Ken and Marion to explore the church, whilst I hurried off to collect the key to the next church from the local tea shop. St Peter features a very modern glass window with a really red St Peter on it, another Millenium window, this contrasts with some Medieval glass high up in the chancel S windows. One feature of St Peter’s is the fine collection of corbel heads liberally scattered throughout the building.

                Aldwinkle All Saints

                Just half a mile further down the road, this is a CCT church, Marion remembered it as we drew up and was delighted to be revisiting it. It has a wonderful perpy tower, all little features and carvings, along with all the usual perpy details. Inside it is a skeleton of a church, bare and stark, but most enjoyable as you can study form without the clutter. Marions sharp eyes picked out some wall paintings that I had previously missed, we thought it was a St Christopher. One of the great things about going mob handed to a church is that extra eyes notice different things and lively debate usually ensues. Whilst we were in the church two other groups came in at different times, sadly they were not church explorers like us, they were looking for the funeral! Naturally we sent them to the correct church.

                Lowick St Peter

                Ken was blown away by Lowick and Marion also found it most enjoyable, the superb 15th C glass created much debate and we found several of the monuments most interesting, Marion was quite critical of the bored expression that an 18th C woman had, it was very comical.

                Brigstock St Andrew

                Another of Northants big three Saxon churches, after Brixworth and Earls Barton. The Saxon detail here is all about the tower, an additional circular tower to the west, a chunky main W tower and a monumental Saxon arch to the church with giant pilaster details, huge long and short stones, really super stuff, the usual Saxon carelessness with the primitive arches, we joked about the builders needing to get finished so they could get down the pub. The rest of the church pales into insignificance beside this, Marion and I decided some odd lumps and bumps in the chancel were archaeological!  From here we were due to visit Deene church to see the Brudenell monuments but sadly the estate office where the key is kept was unmanned so we had to forgo that little pleasure.

                Kings Cliffe All Saints

                Ken decided, rightly so, that Kings Cliffe was a bit of a tease, all flashy detail outside, inside effectively neutered by a heavy stultifying restoration that robbed the interior of any vitality and interest. One thing that did intrigue us was that when we arrived a dark haired bespectacled chap with a hat and a dark coat was sitting in one of the benches, behind a pier, it was not long before we spotted him, he was rather mysterious and slightly sinister, he had a conversation with Kenneth and knew all about Northallerton, in a chat with Marion he told her he visited a lot of churches every week, we found his presence rather strange and to be honest were rather pleased to leave.

                Apethorpe St Leonard

                Marion thought Apethorpe rather wonderful, I think it might get her church of the day award, I think Ken will go with Lowick, just to be perverse I’d give mine to Cotterstock, just for the thrill of getting inside it! The Mildmay monument dominates the church, but there is a lot of other interest as well. The glass is quite different, 17th and 18th C odd things as well as some 20th C Whall windows and we had a long conversation about Medieval symbolism on a small 1442 alabaster monument that Pevsner calls an Annunciation, we did not see that at all. All too soon I had to shepherd them up and head off to our last church of the day.

                Fotheringay All Saints

                I thought this would make a fine church to finish with, it’s so well know I will not go into detail, the connections with Richard III and Mary Queen of Scots ensures it gets more than its fair share of visitors, indeed there was one in there when we arrived, yes you guessed it, our strange, moustachioed, bespectacled acquaintance from Kings Cliffe was sitting in this one as well. I think it freaked Marion out a bit, I must admit I was somewhat concerned, who is this bloke, has anyone else a similar experience? Despite his presence we had a good look round and followed his advice on leaving and did the exterior tour, always worthwhile at Fotheringay for the fine view of the water meadows and the river. All too soon it was time to make our farewells, Marion set off in her car back home to Bucks and I set off for Peterborough station for Ken to get his train home, I think we all had a most stimulating and interesting day, I know I did.
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 9, 2012
                  Many thanks to Chris for organising what was a most enjoyable day, with fabulous churches; and to Kenneth for good company.

                  Marion