Re: [Churchcrawling] UK place names

    Message 1 of 40 , Oct 31, 2006
      Yes, Norfolk is a county, Barry. Usually, when people post photographs,
      they list the name of the village followed by the county in order to
      identify where it is for UK list members. Our largest towns are usually
      posted without their county name following, as we, (in the UK), all
      know where they are.

      Below is a site with all the English county names and locations on it.

      Many long county names have officially abbreviated forms: mine, for
      example, is Buckinghamshire, but I always abbreviate this to 'Bucks'
      which is the correct abbreviation. One of my next door counties, which
      i visit in order to photo churches from time to time, is Oxfordshire;
      the correct abbreviation for this county is Oxon. Norfolk is not
      abbreviated, it is short enough already. We never write the word
      'county' after a county name as happens in some cases in the United
      States, I believe. And I believe also that in Louisiana 'counties' are
      called 'parishes', which I find very confusing.

      County list:

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historic_counties_of_England

      Marion

      Message 40 of 40 , Nov 13, 2006
        Thank you everyone for the kind comments.

        Marion