Re: [Churchcrawling] Re: Cathedrals

  • nmbr20601@blueyonder.co.uk
    Message 1 of 69 , Dec 31, 2005
      Just to confuse you even more there is a Swedenborgian Cathedral of St John the Divine somewhere in Pensylvania! I have seen several denominations in the US describe their churches as cathedrals but I think that has more to do with power and status (not necessarily in the Swedenborgian case).
      Neil
      Message 69 of 69 , Mar 18, 2006
        I don't remember what the start of this thread was, and I may be repeating what someone said, but I have to say once again, that the museum quality is what appeals to us tourists. It's what brings all the people to visit you. Tourism IS still important in your economy, isn't it? I remember clearly when we got home after our first trip to England, that my summation to my friends was that it was like a living amusement park, or theme park, with rides [red double decker busses, the tube, trains, taxis] picturesque sights, people doing familiar things differently, people working in costumes we only saw in magazine advertisements [like the Guards, the soldiers with the big fuzzy hats], museums, historical things, places to explore, people who talked with a foreign accent, funny money, etc, etc, etc.. One of my friends who went with us remarked after we returned, that "Foreign travel really is broadening isn't it?" It's a wonderful experience to be had at a reasonable cost, and
        fairly non-threatening since you speak the same language--with local pecularities, of course, making it all the more interesting. And now you even have modern stuff like the London City Hall and the Gerkin and the... what's is called---that super sized ferris wheel? All things to go see that weren't there in 1984. A constanly changing theme park, it is.---Les

        alantaylor1@... wrote: A very late comment on Ben's posting.

        Southwark is a funny one. It's my local, as it happens, so I feel like I
        ought to like it more than I do; but I feel there's something wrong with a
        cathedral where the beautiful things (tombs and glass, IIRC, in the case
        of Southwark) could just as easily be in a museum as a church.
        Mother-churches ought to be more than that: like mountains, and the
        ocean, and the sunrise, and thunderclouds, and Janacek's Sinfonietta, and
        all that stuff.

        Ben

        Don't forget to Email URLs of websites to members that you have found and think are worthy of recommendation.
        Yahoo! Groups Links