Brompton Ralph glass

  • John Hawes
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 2005
      Phil,

      Unfortunately I have no idea of the maker of the Brompton Ralph window.
      The colouring is vaguely reminiscent of Kempe, but the drawing isn't.
      The little "horns" sported by Moses are not uncommon in fact, and we
      have a Clayton and Bell window at Primrose Hill which shows similar
      fetching headgear. You can also see similar iconography in some Norwich
      school C15 glass.

      On a different matter, I liked Chris's Cambridgeshire pictures. I'm
      surprised they got to ring at Keyston: they were nearly unringable 20
      years ago!

      John

    • Chris Harrison
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 1, 2005
        John Hawes wrote:

        >On a different matter, I liked Chris's Cambridgeshire pictures. I'm
        >surprised they got to ring at Keyston: they were nearly unringable 20
        >years ago!
        >
        >John

        And they are still almost unringable now. The ropes and sallies are in
        a disgusting state and the bells just don't want to cooperate for change
        ringing. After managing to do a few questionable rounds of Grandsire
        Doubles we gave up in disgust. The church was pleasant though, and to
        compensate the awful ring, we went to the private ten bell campanile in
        Willingham for an enjoyable hour before setting off back to Norfolk with
        a stop for a meal in Exning on the way.

        Regards
        Seajay (Chris Harrison)