help this fellow write his church history

  • bangsflynn@cs.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2005
      The following story (wow, big letters for some unknown reason) requests help
      in revising a local church history brochure. Probably someone here can help.
      cheers,
      jeremy

      <A HREF="http://www.godspell.org.uk/wordpress">Storyteller’s World</A>

      Living the Story. Telling the Story. Loving the Story.

      « <A HREF="http://www.godspell.org.uk/wordpress/archives/347/">Tony’s story</A>
      <A HREF="http://www.godspell.org.uk/wordpress/archives/349/">Mad As Hell</A> »

      <A HREF="http://www.godspell.org.uk/wordpress/archives/348/">Rewriting Church History</A>

      Carolyn came to me a few weeks ago and asked for some more copies of the
      Elsfield church history leaflet, which we’ve run out of. “And while you’re doing
      it, can you add a paragraph about the village room, to bring it up to
      date.”The existing church history was written by my predecessor nearly 25 years ago,
      and reprinted by me (with added spelling errors and omitted words) in 2001.
      Once I started trying to “bring it up to date”, I quickly realised it was
      turning into a complete rewrite.But how do you write a church history? There are so
      many things you want it to be, that really it needs to be available in
      different forms, like on Doctor Who’s psychic notepaper, so as to meet the unique
      needs of each reader.You want it to have some information about the architectural
      history of the building (”the spandrels of the S.E. narthex clerestory window
      are thought to have been designed by Adam of Clairvaux c.1297 to satisfy the
      requirements of the then abbot of Bluny, but this is disputed by the Bluniac
      Conservation Society”) for people who like that kind of thing (if there still
      are any such people).You want it to convey some idea that this is a living
      place of prayer and worship, and why this matters.You want it to be readable, for
      God’s sake, and not quite as dull dull dull as most of these offerings.But
      when you set out to try and write something that is all these things to all these
      people, you find yourself inexorably slipping into dull and boring. Even
      occasional linguistic shockers don’t quite wake it up.Someone once said one of the
      purposes of a blog was to get comments on ideas from a wider readership. So
      in case any of you are feeling hardy enough to withstand Dull, you’re welcome
      to read the <A HREF="http://www.godspell.org.uk/writing/draft.html">draft of the Elsfield Church History</A>, and leave your comments here
      at Storyteller’s World.This entry was posted on Saturday, May 28th, 2005 at
      11:25 and is filed under <A HREF="http://www.godspell.org.uk/wordpress/archives/category/this-blessed-plot/">This Blessed Plot</A>. You can follow any responses to this
      entry through the <A HREF="http://www.godspell.org.uk/wordpress/archives/348/feed/">RSS 2.0</A> feed. You can <A HREF="http://www.godspell.org.uk/wordpress/archives/348/#respond">leave a response</A>, or <A HREF="http://www.godspell.org.uk/wordpress/archives/348/trackback/">trackback</A> from
      your own site.

      One Response to “Rewriting Church History”

      Claire Says:

      <A HREF="http://www.godspell.org.uk/wordpress/archives/348/#comment-2708">May 31st, 2005 at 10:21</A> It looks quite exciting. Although I’d take that phone
      number off the net if I were you. Would you like to come and finish my thesis
      for me?

      [The draft is posted at:]

      http://www.godspell.org.uk/writing/draft.html