Re: [Churchcrawling] Mr Neil said

  • DORIS hOWE
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 1, 2005
      > I think she was complaining about the state pension<
      Mr.Neil.

      What a cheek!
      After all ,The President gave us a 75pence
      a week rise a couple of years back.
      What more could she-or any of us-expect:-)
      Doris><>

      MODERATOR
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ukdollcollectors
      THERE ARE TWO MEANS OF REFUGE IN LIFE...........MUSIC AND CATS
      ALBERT SCHWEITZER
    • Les Center
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 1, 2005
        Are they re-issuing old 78's? Good. I have a lot I would like to hear again, if I could find somethign that would play them.--_Les

        From: "Bill Hennessee"] Mr Neil said
        "to buy a gun to stop myself becomming
        an OAP!"

        > What's an OAP?

        I am Bill: I'm over 65...so is Ursula Andress
        i.e. I' receiving a State Pension- tho' she isn't...

        Senior Citizen is a polite euphemism...

        Doris><> but not The Decrepit....

        (currently saving and playing new CD of Toscanini
        conducting Brahms 4th in
        London 5th June 1935 .
        I must have been only just 'a twinkle in my Dad's eye as they say...)

        MODERATOR:
        THERE ARE TWO MEANS OF REFUGE IN LIFE...........MUSIC AND CATS
        ALBERT SCHWEITZER

        Don't forget to Email URLs of websites to members that you have found and think are worthy of recommendation.

      • Les Center
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 1, 2005
          I'm glad you asked that, Bill. I was wondering myself. I am an OAP, too; living on Social Security and a small pension from Rice; and the little I can make teaching, part-time. And I'm not close to using the pistol in the closet.---Les

          From: "Bill Hennessee"] Mr Neil said
          "to buy a gun to stop myself becomming
          an OAP!"

          > What's an OAP?

          I am Bill: I'm over 65...so is Ursula Andress
          i.e. I' receiving a State Pension- tho' she isn't...

          Senior Citizen is a polite euphemism...

          Doris><> but not The Decrepit....

          (currently saving and playing new CD of Toscanini
          conducting Brahms 4th in
          London 5th June 1935 .
          I must have been only just 'a twinkle in my Dad's eye as they say...)

          MODERATOR:
          THERE ARE TWO MEANS OF REFUGE IN LIFE...........MUSIC AND CATS
          ALBERT SCHWEITZER

          Don't forget to Email URLs of websites to members that you have found and think are worthy of recommendation.

        • Phil Draper
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 1, 2005
            I still have a deck which will play 78s in the loft (where the 78s are too). Must get it down and connect it up to the pc and transfer the few 78s I still have left!
            I managed to download some of the songs I have up there from AudioGalaxy before it was shut down, Artie Shaw, Benny Goodman (with Peggy Lee), Rosemary Clooney, Frankie Lymon and the Teenagers....... they don't sound right in perfect condition - e.g. the Artie Shaw one (Lady be Good) should have a click on the beginning!

            Best wishes
            Phil
            Bristol UK
            www.churchcrawler.co.uk
            Owner of ChurchCrawling and churchpictures
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/churchpictures

            From: "Bill Hennessee"] Mr Neil said

            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 1, 2005
              I should also add that when I was but three or four years old I was given a wind up gramaphone and a pile of 78s by the next door neighbours who were probably fed up each summer when I would get it out and play the records in the garden!
              You could also take a risk and buy a pile of 78s at jumble sales, and smash the ones you didn't like! Then of course accidents (e.g. my former friend Alan sat on a couple of Elvis 78s!) happened too, leaving them in the sun didn't help although this was an even worse thing to do with vinyl!
              And we wonder why they become collectable!
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 1, 2005
                Harry has about 8,000 78s
                a friend in North Norfolk 18,000
                and in Kent 44,000........

                Harry's are early opera and unusual lables-plus music hall.
                (She was poor, but she was honest....)

                I have a few and treated myself to a small 1930s picnic size wind up in
                excellent condition last month.

                One of the ebay Sellers we have come to know well
                sent me some soft fibre needles for it
                One has to change the needle every time!

                Not the kind of thing to connect up to this-although
                Martin has already connected the digital piano.
                Which-Mr.Phil,
                was reviewed in Pianist Mag. and of this model
                it was written"A Grade Eight Student would
                find this an ideal instrument to play"!

                If anyone runs short of 78s- before 1930s that is
                just email me...
                Doris><> the Diverse.

                MODERATOR: