East Harling east window reconstructed

  • Simon
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 1, 2005
      I'm currently preparing the entry for East Harling on the Norfolk
      Churches site, and as part of the process I have organised images of the
      15th century glass in the east window into their actual configuration:
      http://www.norfolkchurches.co.uk/eastharling/eastharlingwindow.htm

      Hover on thumbnails to read what they are. You can pick a particular
      image, click on it, and see it enlarged.

      The page is designed for 1026x768 - obviously you can still view it at
      800x600 but it will involve a small amount of horizontal scrolling!

      When I do the proper East Harling page I will probably delete this page...

      Simon

    • Aidan Semmens
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 1, 2005
        Very good, Simon - you and other eagle-eyed observers will spot that
        the Christmas cards I sent out, both actual and the virtual one sent
        to the churchpictures list, were scenes from that very wonderful window.
        Just a technical point: following your recommendation and dd's, I'm
        now using a Firefox browser, but by so doing I'm missing your hover
        captions. I can't find any way in the browser options of turning this
        on - do you know any way to do that?

        Aidan

        --- In Churchcrawling@yahoogroups.com, Simon <simonknott@n...> wrote:
        > I'm currently preparing the entry for East Harling on the Norfolk
        > Churches site, and as part of the process I have organised images of
        the
        > 15th century glass in the east window into their actual configuration:
        > http://www.norfolkchurches.co.uk/eastharling/eastharlingwindow.htm
        >
        > Hover on thumbnails to read what they are. You can pick a particular
        > image, click on it, and see it enlarged.
        >
        > The page is designed for 1026x768 - obviously you can still view it at
        > 800x600 but it will involve a small amount of horizontal scrolling!
        >
        > When I do the proper East Harling page I will probably delete this
        page...

        > Simon
        >

        > --
      • Simon
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 1, 2005
          Hi Aidan

          it is a plug-in - you can download and install it from various places, I
          got it from http://piro.sakura.ne.jp/xul/_popupalt.html.en

          Simon

          Aidan Semmens wrote:

          > Very good, Simon - you and other eagle-eyed observers will spot that
          > the Christmas cards I sent out, both actual and the virtual one sent
          > to the churchpictures list, were scenes from that very wonderful window.
          > Just a technical point: following your recommendation and dd's, I'm
          > now using a Firefox browser, but by so doing I'm missing your hover
          > captions. I can't find any way in the browser options of turning this
          > on - do you know any way to do that?
          >
          > Aidan
          >

          > --- In Churchcrawling@yahoogroups.com, Simon <simonknott@n...> wrote:
          > > I'm currently preparing the entry for East Harling on the Norfolk
          > > Churches site, and as part of the process I have organised images of
          > the
          > > 15th century glass in the east window into their actual configuration:
          > > http://www.norfolkchurches.co.uk/eastharling/eastharlingwindow.htm
          > >
          > > Hover on thumbnails to read what they are. You can pick a particular
          > > image, click on it, and see it enlarged.
          > >
          > > The page is designed for 1026x768 - obviously you can still view it at
          > > 800x600 but it will involve a small amount of horizontal scrolling!
          > >
          > > When I do the proper East Harling page I will probably delete this
          > page...
          > >
          > > Simon
          > >

          > > --
          >

          > Don't forget to Email URLs of websites to members that you have found
          > and think are worthy of recommendation.

        • Carol Myers
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 1, 2005
            Hmmm. I notice you've changed the name of the site to:
            THE CHURCHES OF EAST ANGLIA

            Is this an announcement that the counties will continue marching on, Simon?

            Carol

            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 1, 2005
              Yes, but it does raise the question: should we be making those as title
              tags, rather than alt?

              We all know everyone using Firefox isn't going to add the plug-in.

              I guess I'm wondering if we should build a new habit and simply make title
              tags, using the alt tag as intended--a description of the image for those
              w/o images.

              Firefox use on my site has grown from 1.4% in Aug/September to 3.8% in
              Dec/Jan. Still a small proportion, but growing significantly.

              Carol

              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 1, 2005
                I've often wondered what this 'hover over' things meant, because
                nothing has ever happened when I've done that. This must be a mac thing
                because I haven't heard of firefox.

                I hadn't realised how differently we must see things until dd said he
                had to scroll large photo attachments - they are all the same
                dimensions on my computer, no matter how many kbs the pics are. The
                only difference is in speed of download.

                Marion
              • Les Center

                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 2, 2005
                      Hi Simon,

                      Thanks for that URL. I've been meaning to search for a plug-in that
                      did that for several days, so you've saved me 15 minutes of head
                      scratching. Any other plug-ins you'd recommend?

                      Karen

                      --- In Churchcrawling@yahoogroups.com, Simon <simonknott@n...> wrote:
                      > Hi Aidan
                      >
                      > it is a plug-in - you can download and install it from various
                      places, I
                      > got it from http://piro.sakura.ne.jp/xul/_popupalt.html.en
                      >
                      > Simon
                    • Daniel Police
                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 3, 2005
                        86.31% of the visitors to my site use various versions of I.E.
                        6.08% use Firefox

                        Daniel
                      • Simon
                        Message 11 of 12 , Feb 3, 2005
                          When you get a moment, look at the 'Ascension' and 'Descent of the Holy
                          Spirit' panels.

                          Mary and the disciples are reversed one to the other.

                          Presumably, the cartoon was reversed by the workshop.

                          But what if it wasn't? What if it is the glass itself in the Pentecost
                          panel which is reversed, explaining its poor condition? It would also
                          support my theory that these two were not originally side by side!

                          Simon

                          Message 12 of 12 , Feb 4, 2005
                            I'm absolutely sure you're right - the descent of the spirit pane is
                            the only one in the entire window in which Mary is seen that way
                            round. One would have to go back and have a close look, probably on
                            the outside, to confirm your theory about the glass being put in wrong
                            way round, but I'd bet you're right. Incidentally, aren't the faces in
                            that whole window - esp Mary's - lovely?

                            Aidan

                            --- In Churchcrawling@yahoogroups.com, Simon <simonknott@n...> wrote:
                            > When you get a moment, look at the 'Ascension' and 'Descent of the Holy
                            > Spirit' panels.
                            >
                            > Mary and the disciples are reversed one to the other.
                            >
                            > Presumably, the cartoon was reversed by the workshop.
                            >
                            > But what if it wasn't? What if it is the glass itself in the Pentecost
                            > panel which is reversed, explaining its poor condition? It would also
                            > support my theory that these two were not originally side by side!
                            >
                            > Simon
                            >
                            > Aidan Semmens wrote:
                            >

                            > > Very good, Simon - you and other eagle-eyed observers will spot that
                            > > the Christmas cards I sent out, both actual and the virtual one sent
                            > > to the churchpictures list, were scenes from that very wonderful
                            window.
                            > > Just a technical point: following your recommendation and dd's, I'm
                            > > now using a Firefox browser, but by so doing I'm missing your hover
                            > > captions. I can't find any way in the browser options of turning this
                            > > on - do you know any way to do that?
                            > >
                            > > Aidan
                            > >

                            > > --- In Churchcrawling@yahoogroups.com, Simon <simonknott@n...> wrote:
                            > > > I'm currently preparing the entry for East Harling on the Norfolk
                            > > > Churches site, and as part of the process I have organised images of
                            > > the
                            > > > 15th century glass in the east window into their actual
                            configuration:
                            > > > http://www.norfolkchurches.co.uk/eastharling/eastharlingwindow.htm
                            > > >
                            > > > Hover on thumbnails to read what they are. You can pick a particular
                            > > > image, click on it, and see it enlarged.
                            > > >
                            > > > The page is designed for 1026x768 - obviously you can still view
                            it at
                            > > > 800x600 but it will involve a small amount of horizontal scrolling!
                            > > >
                            > > > When I do the proper East Harling page I will probably delete this
                            > > page...
                            > > >
                            > > > Simon
                            > > >

                            > > > --
                            31/01/2005