Fwd: Churches of Kotor

  • PMDraper10@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 4, 1999
      In a message dated 30/09/99 19:54:30 GMT Daylight Time, draginja@...
      writes:

      > I have been doing some researches on the
      > ecclesiastical architecture in the Gulf of Kotor in
      > the south of Montenegro (Yugoslavia) and I also made
      > few web sites on the subject.
      >
      > Most of these churches are Roman-Catholic. The center
      > of the region is the ancient town of Kotor. Inside its
      > walls there are today 13 churches dating from Middle
      > Ages till the beginning of this century. There are
      > also lots of more or less preserved remains of old
      > churches. You can get basic information about the
      > churches of Kotor on the site I made with the help of
      > my colleagues,
      > http://mediateka.f.bg.ac.yu/files/KOTOR/indexE.html,
      > listed in two Yahoo categories.
      >
      > The region of Kotor developed itself for centuries
      > under the Venetian influence, concerning the fact that
      > Venice ruled those parts from 1420 till 1797. The
      > ecclesiastical architecture there also developed
      > itself under this influence. The very representative
      > example of such architecture is the parochial church
      > in Prcanj, a settlement near Kotor, dedicated to the
      > Virgin, work of the Venetian architect Bernardino
      > Maccaruzzi. I made a modest website about this
      > building, www.geocities.com/SoHo/Den/1271/. I was
      > still learning how to make web pages than.
      >
      > In the settlements around Kotor, of which the most
      > famous are Prcanj, Dobrota and Perast, there are also
      > lots of churches. The population of this region were
      > mostly the seamen and along the coast they were
      > raising the small votive chapels. These chapels are
      > today in a very bad condition, due to the lack of
      > money for monument preservation. You can see some
      > examples on
      > http://mediateka.f..bg.ac.yu/files/prcanj/. This is
      > site with a few photos of the monuments in Prcanj.

      Hope people find this useful. I haven't visited yet but soon!

      Best wishes
      Phil
      Bristol UK
      Visit my Church Architecture Website at http://come.to/ChurchCrawler
      To join a Church Architecture Mailing list (it's free!!) go to
      http://www.onelist.com/subscribe.cgi/Churchcrawling

      Hi Phil!

      My name is Draginja and I am art historian. I found on
      Yahoo link to your Web site about the ecclesiastical
      architecture. I have been doing some researches on the
[...]

      So, I could talk more about Kotor and its vicinity,
      but I think this will be enough for the beginning. In
      a month I should also move to Kotor to work there.

      Sincerely,
      Draginja