Little Melton

  • Doris H Howe
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2004
      There was an article in the "Sunday" Eastern Daily Press-just
      a pull-out couple of pages, with the Sat.EDP
      about Litlle Mlton. .
      There is a new paperback about th Village.
      The part that really interested me was an
      early 14th Century Wallpainting revealed
      (as usual) when the limewash was removed
      from the walls in 1933.
      The article tells us that 'the most original one is known as
      'The Scandalmongers' ot The Gossips and lies in the nave.
      Behind and to the right is the Devil'presumably
      noting it all down or the Dreadful Day of Judgement.
      'In medieval time church pictures were sometimes used asa
      form of awful warning .againtst swearing,Sabbath breaking and as here, idle
      gossip.'
      Plus ca change.....

      Doris><>
      (If you want this David, let me know!)

      John: thanks for the messages: I m signed in on churchpictures for
      individual emails but can't see pictures at the site, apart from the photo
      albums
      tho' ones attached to emails come through generally..D.
      UKDollsandTeddyCollectorsBookLists-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      THERE ARE TWO MEANS OF REFUGE IN LIFE...........MUSIC AND CATS
      ALBERT SCHWEITZER.
    • policedaniel
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1, 2004
        I'd like to have the article about the "Warning against Idle Gosisp" if it's not to much bother, as I have a good example on my site at:

        http://www.popadd.com/policedaniel2-2147.html

        Daniel
[...]

        Don't forget to Email URLs of websites to members that you have found and think are worthy of recommendation.

      • Doris H Howe
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 1, 2004
          > I'd like to have the article about the "Warning against Idle Gosisp" if
          it's not to much bother, as I have a good example on my site at:

          > http://www.popadd.com/policedaniel2-2147.html

          So I see!

          It's not the natural prerogative of women to chatter you know,
          you should meet Harry :-)
          Says he spent all his life talking to people(Trading Standards)
          and can't stop.
          But we think his Mother (one Mother-in-law in a million!)
          must have been a Prophetess:
          I understand that at a tender age she exclaimed
          "That child's been vaccinated with a gramophone needle"
          Harry's hobby?
          He collects 78s...........

          Would you like the actual page in the Post?
          Let me know.
          Doris><>

          UKDollsandTeddyCollectorsBookLists-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

          THERE ARE TWO MEANS OF REFUGE IN LIFE...........MUSIC AND CATS
          ALBERT SCHWEITZER.

          > I'd like to have the article about the "Warning against Idle Gosisp" if
          it's not to much bother, as I have a good example on my site at:

          > http://www.popadd.com/policedaniel2-2147.html
          >
          > Daniel

          Service.

          > Don't forget to Email URLs of websites to members that you have found and
          think are worthy of recommendation.

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • policedaniel
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 1, 2004
            Hello,

            It is not my own opinion but it seems to have been a real cliché in the Middle Ages and I do know women who ARE talkative!
            If I could have the substance of the article (their version of the legend), that would be fine.

          • David Barrett
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 2, 2004
              Thanks Doris, for the offer of a copy of the article, but please do not worry. I shall note this church for a visit as soon as possible. Did the article say whether or not it was open ? - I see it was locked when Seajay visited there.

              All the best,

              Dave Barrett.

              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 2, 2004
                Hi David

                The churchwarden is: G Tomlin, Pond Piece, School Lane, Little Melton Tel: 01603-812209.
                I was in a bit of a rush when I called last year and didn't really have the time to stop and try and locate the keyholder's address, so only took a couple of external pictures plus the one through the window.
                btw, Great Melton church(es) are close by and this is one of those churchyards where two churches stand next to each other, albeit one church has only the tower surviving. Also not far from Little Melton is the church at Bawburgh, which is well worth a visit. The keyholder lives at the bottom of the access road to the church (first cottage on right as you approach the church).

                Regards
                Chris (Seajay)

                Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2004 08:14:32 -0000
                From: "Doris H Howe"

                There was an article in the "Sunday" Eastern Daily Press-just
                a pull-out couple of pages, with the Sat.EDP
                about Litlle Mlton. .
                There is a new paperback about th Village.
                The part that really interested me was an
                early 14th Century Wallpainting revealed
                (as usual) when the limewash was removed
                from the walls in 1933.

                Don't forget to Email URLs of websites to members that you have found and think are worthy of recommendation.

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor