Re: [Churchcrawling] I may throw up

  • Shelley Jebb
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 1 9:35 AM
      You have a problem with this Simon?
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Simon
      To: Churchcrawling@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tuesday, September 30, 2003 10:55 PM
      Subject: Re: [Churchcrawling] I may throw up

      You may remember this from 2 years ago: http://www.geocities.com/pigofsuffolk/august.htm
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Simon
      To: Church Crawling
      Sent: Tuesday, September 30, 2003 10:51 PM
      Subject: [Churchcrawling] I may throw up

      read how the Diocese of St E and I's latest bauble is being used to justify its business plan:
      http://www.stedmundsbury.anglican.org/cgi-bin/News/NewsArticle.pl?ID=49

      This message scanned for all known viruses by Norton 2003
      If you reply to this message, you may need to confirm your identity via Spamarrest

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      Don't forget to Email URLs of websites to members that you have found and think are worthy of recommendation.

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      Don't forget to Email URLs of websites to members that you have found and think are worthy of recommendation.

    • Simon
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 1 12:22 PM
        Now you mention it, yes I do!

        C1000 -1975: St Nicholas is one of Ipswich's 12 medieval town centre churches. It includes national treasures in the form of a Saxon tympanum and other Saxon reliefs and carvings. Unfortunately, by the 1970s nobody lives in the parish anymore.

        1975: Diocese makes St Nicholas redundant to save money. Vested in care of Ipswich Historic Churches Trust, funded by Ipswich Borough Council.

        1975-1999 care of church paid for by IHCT (funded by IBC). Unaccountably, IHCT fail consistently to find any new use for this building (or for any of the other five churches in their care - oh, except one; St Stephen becomes Tourist Information Office, part of IBC).

        1999 Ipswich Arts Society given lease of St Nicholas for exhibitions, etc.

        2000 Diocese of St E and I buys lease on office block next door to St Nicholas. Announces ambitious business plan to overturn losses.

        2001 Diocese of St E and I 'buys' St Nicholas 'back' from IHCT for one pound (ceremoniously handed over in the form of a coin). The laws of libel forbid me from suggesting any connection between the IHCT solicitor and the Diocesan solicitor. Ipswich Arts Society thrown out. Diocese announces that the church is to be converted into a business and conference centre, and Diocesan Communications officer tells press conference 'it says something positive about how the Diocese is approaching its property portfolio'.

        2001-2003 St Nicholas stands empty, closed to any visitors, prey to vandalism and decay.

        2003 Diocese realises that the whole thing is beginning to stink a bit. If an Anglican Diocese buys back a church from the Churches Conservation Trust, it has to pay back all the money that has been spent on the building while it was being mothballed. St Nicholas was in the care of the IHCT, not the CCT, so St E and I haven't done this, the Ipswich ratepayers/council tax payers are picking up the tab. Now, their intention of turning the building into a profitable business centre is beginning to raise a few grumbles.

        So a new idea is sold to the people of Ipswich. They are no longer turning St Nicholas into a 'business and conference centre', they are turning it into a 'resource and conference centre'. No mention is made of 'our property portfolio'. Furthermore, the conversion will restore it as 'a living church'. For WHOM, one wonders. I'm willing to bet that if the Catholic Diocese of East Anglia or the Eastern Methodist Conference had offered to buy the church for a pound it wouldn't have gone through so smoothly.

        My impression of the inside of St Nicholas the last time I was allowed in (I wouldn't even bother asking now) was quite how dirty it was. I wonder who paid for it to be cleaned up so that the Hinchcliffes could have their marriage 'blessed' there. I'm willing to bet it wasn't the Diocese.

        As a propaganda exercise, it is quite a successful one. The Anglican Diocese once again shows that, when it comes to spin-doctoring, the Labour Party are still in second place.

        Simon