Re: Harescombe,Glos - postscript

  • djb122uk
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 1, 2003
      --- In Churchcrawling@yahoogroups.com, pmdraper10@a... wrote:
      > Apparently one of the two bells in the bellcote/spirelet I mentioned
      is in
      > fact the oldest bell in England, of the early C13......unless one of
      our experts
      > knows differently!

      It is fairly old, as I recall - I'll look it up when I get home.

      David
    • djb122uk
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 1, 2003
        --- In Churchcrawling@yahoogroups.com, "Doctor Digi" <docdigi@d...>
        wrote:
        > --- In Churchcrawling@yahoogroups.com, pmdraper10@a... wrote:
        > > Apparently one of the two bells in the bellcote/spirelet I
        > mentioned is in
        > > fact the oldest bell in England, of the early C13......unless one
        > of our experts
        > > knows differently!
        >
        > [sigh!]
        >
        > Wish I had a pound for every time I've heard this claim!!

        Yes, it is much-cited bollocks in many church guides. I think this one
        is fairly genuine and is very old. In reality, it is impossible to say
        where has the oldest bell as very few pre-Reformation bells are dated
        so any suggested date is approximate.

        David
      • djb122uk
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 1, 2003